Sitting pretty!!

• 5 Replies

Penny Finn

Sitting pretty!!
« on: May 11, 2012, 13:19 »
I think my newish (p.o.l. at end of April) chicken is definitely broody.  The other two are bright eyed and bushy tailed and she is just sitting in the hutch and won't budge.  When I try and push her out, she fluffs herself up and looks very cross.  Can only prise her out with mealworms, then she just gobbles them up and scuttles back in again.  Any suggestions.  How do you make a broody 'not broody'.  What should I do?  Grateful for any advice.
Gardening Granny

kegs

Re: Sitting pretty!!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 13:46 »
Does she squeal at you as well?  Just keep lifting her off the nest until she comes out of it.  If none of the chickens are laying at the moment you could close the coop door so she can't get back in until you are sure she is no longer broody.  Good luck.

CoopersCoop

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 15:36 »
You can get anti-broody housing that you can place your lady to stop her going broody. It is and elevated house with a chicken wire base so it is hard for your lady to sit for any length of time. make sure you keep a supply of food and water with her though!

Of course this isn't the most cost effective method, but you can make one yourself for future needs. Again only really any good if you have lots of lovely hens that may on occasion go broody.

:)
Charlotte and her Hens

PaulineM

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 15:42 »
Hi

I use a wire dog cage to break my broody's  :(

The idea is to not let them keep their temperature up and to make them uncomfortable, this may sound a bit cruel but its up to your personal view as to what is more cruel, breaking the broodiness or leaving them to sit on no eggs, not eating properly and not getting any chicks at the end of it. Mine has been known to sit for 9 weeks, although using the dog cage she is usually out of it in 5 days  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

CoopersCoop

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 15:48 »
What a great idea PaulineM to use a dog cage. Will remember that one for next time!

Penny Finn

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 15:57 »
Thank you for the advice.  I could try shutting her out of the hutch as the other two lay early morning so they have done their bit and are happy to spend all day outside (like normal chickens!)  If that doesn't work I will try the wire treatment.
Again grateful for the suggestions

xx
Pretty sure this one's not been asked before...

Started by shetan on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 08:50
by Sassy
xx
I'm pretty and I want to keep chickens!!!

Started by sallyseven on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post December 07, 2006, 18:22
by Aunt Sally
xx
am getting eggs with pretty much no shell

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

29 Replies
Last post November 23, 2008, 07:43
by karlooben
xx
PRETTY PLEASE HELP! PROLASPED CHICKEN

Started by gemhens on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 22, 2012, 18:39
by gemhens

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 38 queries.