Recommendations for fruit trees in the North

• 14 Replies

Goosegirl

Recommendations for fruit trees in the North
« on: September 22, 2015, 10:42 »
I'm planning on turning a bit of waste ground into an orchard so I can grow fruit for eating fresh off the tree. The sub-soil is heavy silt and the site is partially sheltered from the prevailing sea winds coming from the south and west. I want to grow apples, pears, plums and cherries so will get one of each to see how they fare. Anyone got recommendations as to the best varieties?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

AlaninCarlisle

Re: Recommendations for fruit trees in the North
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 16:02 »
We're a good bit further north than you. The apples which have done best for me are Cox's Orange Pippins and Egremont Russets. Golden Delicious, whist being prolific fruiters are quite small and, despite every treatment known to man, are quite scabby
Victoria plums work well here
None of my pear and cherry trees have done much since planting them a few years ago

Christine

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 17:48 »
Over here in Northumberland I have Howgate Wonder cooking apples (prolific) and Kidds Orange Red Eater (prolific and suited to the north) - they came as a partnership to fertilise each other. There's a Victoria plum which thrives and a Golden Hornet crab apple which really does crop enormously.

LandShark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 20:01 »
I have 2 Victoria Plums, 2 Stella Cherries, a Cox's Pippin Apple and Oullins greengage which all do well here in North Ayrshire (2 miles from coast). However I have a James Grieve apple which although in a sheltered spot doesn't seem to be producing as well.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 11:54 »
Ah - after doing a bit of research, Cox's Orange Pippin and Oullins greengage shoud be ok here; also a neighbour closer to the coast has plums (presumably Victorias). I'll have a further look at cherries and possibly Concorde pears.

simonwatson

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 12:49 »
I've got Bramley, James Grieve and Ellison's orange apple trees and they all do well.

Summer Sun, Merton Premier and Stella cherries and they do very well, but the merton permier, being self sterile, is noticably less prolific than the others.

Invincible delwinor pear, too young to have fruited yet but growing happily.

I'm north-east of you so I'd expect if they're happy here then you'd do fine with them.

Eblana

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 13:52 »
I wouldn't be as near as far North as you but I am 100 yards back from the seafront.  Victoria Plums do very well here as do Stella cherries.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 08:20 »
Victoria plums usually do well in Lancashire, as do most apples; Bountiful and Gala have done particularly well for me this year. Pear wise most seem to do fine, and Doyenne du Comice has done very well this year.

I've not done so well with cherries, seem to get very little fruit, but it might be the way I'm growing them, as a cordon.

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 12:44 »
Well - that's me just about sorted. I'm going for Gage Oullins, Plum Victoria, Apple Orange Pippin, Cherry Stella and Pear - um - either Comice or Concorde - whichever seems the better. Thanks all.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 12:50 »
Have you got a pollinator for that apple?

Maarten

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 14:23 »
As mumofstig is already pointing towards, fruit trees in general are called self-fertile or self-sterile. self-sterile varieties really need a different variety to be pollinated by. In the majority of cases self-fertile varieties will also do significantly better with a different variety nearby. So, if you have neighbours with fruit trees, then you may not need to worry. As far as I am aware, ornamental cherries and appels also count. If you live quite isolated, you will do better with two vaieties of each of the fruits you choose to grow.

All the best,

Maarten

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 10:35 »
Have you got a pollinator for that apple?
Good point MOS. I have a Bramley - will that do or does it have to be a dessert apple?

simonwatson

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 10:45 »
Bramleys are what's called triplooid. That means not only do they need a pollinator, but their pollen is sterile and won't fertilise other trees.

simonwatson

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 10:46 »
This site, http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/ is really good for looking up suitable pollination partners for most common apple trees. I've bought from them in the past too, so would recommend them, but that's entirely up to you (I have no affiliation with the site just for the record).

simonwatson

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 11:56 »
However, if you have a Bramley and it gives you apples, there must be a suitable pollination partner close by already.

xx
Fruit trees for th North East.

Started by tuffty on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 23, 2008, 15:51
by Trillium
xx
Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 11:40
by Ruth Cross
xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot
xx
Growing fruit in the north - what works

Started by Duracell on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 08, 2009, 20:05
by Christine

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 37 queries.