Ant-bird netting

• 10 Replies

argonaut

Ant-bird netting
« on: January 27, 2012, 12:48 »
Back last year I posted that my out buildings were being coated in dodo due
to swallows nesting.  While they are off sunning themselves in Africa ... I intend putting in a
barrier to stop them this year.

Unless someone has a better idea, the thought is that as the outbuilding is
trussed roof construction open at ceiling ... and they nest up in eaves ...

If I put anti-bird nets horizontal across the joists of the trusses, it will stop them without affecting light passage too much.
Probably use a woven 20 x 20mm polyethylene netting ...Now this is where I need help.

Outbuilding is in 2 bays separated by a wall. Would want to fit the netting such that I can still get up into 'roof' space occasionally, where I store materials etc;

So if we take aprox size of each bay as 3.5m x 8.5m ... trusses are right angles to long measurement. looking for suggestions as to how to fix the net, one that it is 'bird tight', so that means fairly taught across the underside of trusses.

Some initial thoughts are thread bamboo canes through the edges and find a way to fix canes (some form of cup hook ?) ... or use canes on ends and down one side, and thread bungee elastic cord down other, allow bungee to
hook over some clip at intervals, this would allow access, and 'should help
keep net taught.

Maybe even a couple of intermediate canes down centre ?

Anybody got any suggestions ? or better ideas

It only needs to be in place Mar to June I'm guessing ... after which they would have nested elsewhere.

I am not disturbing centuries old nesting sites .. this is a new out-building on a brownfield site.
There are those that always like to find fault, if you spot a Typo ... consider put there for you.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Ant-bird netting
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 13:45 »
Regardless of whether you are "disturbing centuries old nesting sites" or a newer one, please be aware that Swallows are fully protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 in the UK and act accordingly. :)

"Legal status

Swallows and their nests are fully protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, which makes it an offence to intentionally kill, injure or take any wild bird. It is an offence to intentionally take, damage or destroy the eggs, young or nest of a swallow whilst it is being built or in use.

The Act allows for fines or prison sentences for every bird, egg or nest destroyed."

Source RSPB.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 14:02 by argyllie »
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

argonaut

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 15:22 »
 I am following the Law, which is what is key.
I left them alone last year ....
It is only illegal to interfere with the birds or their young.

The birds are not present, so I have legally removed the nests, I am putting up nets to prevent the birds getting access - all perfectly legal.

It might not please bird fanciers, but I don't really care about that.

A there are no birds there, what I am doing is no more an offence than someone putting a net over their strawberries.

Personally I have no interest in RSPB and likewise have no interest in hunting or BASC, so no desire to harm for fun.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 15:45 »
I am following the Law, which is what is key.

That's OK then. :)

As we enjoy them visiting here each year, I know they will try to use the same nests in subsequent years.

Personally I have no interest in RSPB and likewise have no interest in BASC.

Without such hardworking conservation organisations, I wouldn't relish your quiet and lonely world without any wild birds or animals, but each to their own. :)

argonaut

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 16:49 »
as you say each t6o their own .. I find breeding & rearing animals to kill for fun is morally abhorrent.
I'm no tree hugging vegetarian, I'll eat anything lower down the food chain ... just don't kill for enjoyment.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 16:59 »
Argonaut, try inquiring at some of the suppliers of net cages and get some ideas on how they do it. You don't necessarily have to buy their product but you might learn enough to solve your problem. It might end up easier to purchase their cage than make one.

argonaut

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 17:04 »
Argonaut, try inquiring at some of the suppliers of net cages and get some ideas on how they do it. You don't necessarily have to buy their product but you might learn enough to solve your problem. It might end up easier to purchase their cage than make one.

I have asked Q to one, and I'll try one of the others as well  ... Tyhnx

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 18:14 »
A photo of the eves question would be useful ! 

Our local councils use netting to stop pigeons causing mucky problems the usually use straining wires along the edges but I would think a bungee would do a similar job.

Argonaut,  Our moderators are required to point out information about laws etc. for the information of our general readership, who may not be as aware of them as you are.  So no need to get defensive.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 09:58 »
If you are trying to stop the poo from going everwhere, you could consdier installing a shelf underneath the nest area, as this will catch it all.

Then when the swallows leave again you will have a good addition to your compost
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

argonaut

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 10:26 »
If you are trying to stop the poo from going everwhere, you could consdier installing a shelf underneath the nest area, as this will catch it all.

Then when the swallows leave again you will have a good addition to your compost

Wouldn't help, last year I put temporary sheets up on underside of joists, when birds are direct above it works.
One of the outbuildings houses my boat, and they use all Parra of it to perch on ...putting loads of poo over seata, carpets etc., not nice when you will be in boat in swim wear.
Hence my need to block them from nesting there.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 10:35 »
Could you buy a cover for the boat? :) If it has carpet on show to the elements, I can't imagine its enormous.... A cover could be hosed or jet washed down quite easily.

xx
Bird Scarers

Started by pdblake on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post May 25, 2013, 07:10
by fatcat1955
clip
Project 3 The Bird Feeder

Started by Aidy on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post January 18, 2021, 22:38
by Aunt Sally
xx
Bird Bath / Water Butt

Started by TerryB on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post May 12, 2011, 13:27
by arugula
xx
Man-K’s range of bird scarers

Started by Man-K on Design and Construction

0 Replies
Last post May 31, 2009, 17:54
by Man-K

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 35 queries.