Brassica Cage (Part 1) & Water Butt Added.

• 15 Replies

MickyB

• Experienced Member
Brassica Cage (Part 1) & Water Butt Added.
« on: November 02, 2013, 19:23 »
I didn't want to feed the cabbage white caterpillars next year and so I constructed a wood framed cage with debris netting. I wanted something that would fold away for storage and so I incorporated hinges in the base so it folds in on itself, the lid is held in place with four toggle catches on the non folding side and I used a dowel screw (half screw, half bolt) with wing nuts to hold the lid to the hinged sides (this also helps the structure maintain its shape), I attached flat mending plates to the underside so I can peg it down externally to secure it in position and stop it turning into a kite! I also drilled through the top of the folded frame and slotted tent pegs through so the hinges are supported when it is moved around, the tent pegs also make nice carrying handles.
This first one was the prototype and I am going to make another three to go along with it, some things I have learned whilst making this one......

1. It looks neater and is more practicable to staple the mesh to the inside of the frame rather than on the outside.
2. The debris netting has a seam running through it which has larger holes than the mesh, sowing the holes up is laborious - however with better planning I think I can position the seams to lay across the wood that makes up the frame work so all I would need to do is staple the net to the wood and the wood would cover the holes in the seam.
3. At 3 foot in height I think I have made this one a little bigger than I needed to - next ones will be made closer to 2 foot.
4, It is not a good idea to drill through the netting - it gets twisted around the drill bit!!

The taps have been turned off, so it was time to get a water butt, the ones at Wilkinsons looked good value at £24 (plus £13 for the stand) I then got creative with the spare bits and bobs I had from the odd jobs done at home and made a connection to some spare guttering, I fixed it all in place today and testing it with the watering can, it all works good - bring on the rain!

Mesh Cage 1 crop.jpg
Water Butt 1 crop.jpg

Growster...

Re: Brassica Cage (Part 1) & Water Butt Added.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 06:39 »
That's a well-designed and well-built piece of work, Micky! Excellent!

You may find that you could also make a much lower one for carrots as well, as the fly has got nowhere near our carrots with a tight covering of debris netting this year!

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 13:16 »
That's a well-designed and well-built piece of work, Micky! Excellent!
You may find that you could also make a much lower one for carrots as well, as the fly has got nowhere near our carrots with a tight covering of debris netting this year!

Thanks  :)

A carrot cover is a great idea - I will make a lower one to cover the carrots and hopefully keep them away from the carrot fly.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 13:25 »
Looks lovely and neat Micky.  I know its hinged, but how do you get into it to do the weeding?  Also if you think about some brassicas like Purple sprouting broccoli, and even some of my cabbages.  3ft isn't high enough, so not sure about the 2ft high ones, unless they are for the carrots!   :) :)

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 13:46 »
Looks lovely and neat Micky.  I know its hinged, but how do you get into it to do the weeding?  Also if you think about some brassicas like Purple sprouting broccoli, and even some of my cabbages.  3ft isn't high enough, so not sure about the 2ft high ones, unless they are for the carrots!   :) :)

Thanks  :)

My idea was to cover the ground with a membrane and plant through the membrane, place the cover over the top then lazily sit back and watch them grow - I am an optimist, I know  ;)  but if needs be I can undo the toggle catches and remove the top and climb in.

I was looking at growing some smaller cabbages and cauliflowers (any tips on which ones welcome) I purchased some club root resistant cabbage and cauliflower seeds and based the height and size of the cage on the height and spead of those.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 13:52 »
The membrane is a good idea.  I grew some cabbages through membrane one year and they grew fine.  Then last year I had really good results with the Minicole cabbage.

I don't buy many seeds, tending to grow what I save and what my daughter buys me for Mother's Day!  :)  There is just OH and me at home now, so the minicole were perfect.  Lasted us for 2 good dinners each and very tightly packed leaves.

The tallest ones I've grown are one of the ones gifted to me by daughter.  They are Filderkraut, and they grow to 4ft high and last us for over 2 weeks!  :lol:

But I'm not usually very good with brassicas, and they are so cheap to buy as they are grown up here, so I'm going to concentrate on more expensive things I think.  saying that, my best friend bought me a metal seed box and loads of seeds for my birthday and there are quite a few brassica seeds in there!  :ohmy:

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 14:15 »
Cage looks great,I just use hoops covered with debris net. I hate weeding in there so this year I did a lazy lasagne bed. I hoed off the weeds,covered the soil a sprinkle of lime then with 3 layers of newspaper-wetting it as I put it down as that's when there is always a gust of wind, then put a layer of homemade compost over the paper & then covered it all with the membrane,cutting crosses to plant the plants. The only weeds I have had have been at the side of the membrane/net.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 18:43 »
Thanks for sharing your experiences and for the kind comments, as a 2013 newbie it really helps to hear the opinions and advise from the more experienced growers  :)

The mesh cage measures 6ft wide x 8ft long and I plan on making another this size along with another two which will be 6ft wide x 10ft long (this matches the size of the beds). When I look on some seed packets it gives you the eventual height and spread of the plant, I was thinking that I should plant them half the given spread (plus an inch or two extra) away from the sides of the cage to stop them from touching the net - is this a good idea? Do the spread and height measurements given on the seed packets tend to be accurate?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 18:45 by MickyB »

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 20:18 »
Yes make sure the leaves don't touch the mesh as the butterflies are adept at laying eggs on to any foliage in close proximity of the net,having said that by the time the plants are fully grown,most of the butterflies will be gone.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 20:22 »
Micky, you're doing a great job here, and just keep doing what you're up to!

I love seeing such structures from not much else, and in the long run, they'll pay you back with interest!

grinling

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 20:10 »
take the top off before it snows

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 18:32 »

Micky try freecycle in your area , you may be able to ask for water barrels for free.

I've managed to get four large plastic drums for storing water and seven baths .

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 19:01 »
Your cage looks great, Micky  :D

I just wonder how windy your site is? The reason I ask is that ours is very windy and can whip up an 80mph with no trouble, even in the summertime.

A couple of years ago our debris netting covered cage lifted right off and did quite a lot of damage as it careered across the plot. :wacko:

Decent guy ropes helped save it happening again  ::)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 19:29 »
take the top off before it snows

I put hinges on it so I can fold it away over the winter.  :)

Your cage looks great, Micky  :D
I just wonder how windy your site is? The reason I ask is that ours is very windy and can whip up an 80mph with no trouble, even in the summertime.
A couple of years ago our debris netting covered cage lifted right off and did quite a lot of damage as it careered across the plot. :wacko:
Decent guy ropes helped save it happening again  ::)

Cheers  :)

I have attached brackets to the underside so I can peg it down and hold it in place - hopefully it will be enough to stop it turning into a kite - hopefully lol.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 19:32 »
Pegs might do it -- depends how exposed the site is

xx
water butt lid

Started by andyf75 on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post November 26, 2014, 16:58
by Annen
xx
Help with water butt

Started by wizzywig27 on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post July 11, 2013, 09:45
by compostqueen
xx
Water Butt Problem

Started by Pimento on Design and Construction

31 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 08:25
by savbo
xx
Water butt connections

Started by Offwego on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post June 25, 2016, 19:24
by slingshot2000

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 38 queries.