How noisy?

• 20 Replies

Glen

• Experienced Member
How noisy?
« on: March 23, 2008, 10:18 »
Hi, we are considering getting some Chucks at home but i have concerns about how noisy they are going to be? Silly question but is there a quieter variety?

We have an allotment as well but i am concerned about having them on the plot as i know there are Foxes there.

spaulaj

How noisy?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 10:23 »
how spooky, i have just advertised my chooks if you are interested. have a look under ' good home needed'. I too am in Dunstable.

Glen

• Experienced Member
How noisy?
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 10:32 »
Reallly need the noise question answering first before we take the plunge. Don't want to upset my neighbours!

naturesparadise

How noisy?
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 10:38 »
well there are 4 choocks plus cockerel up at my greenhouse and they make next to no noise

if your only haven say 6 chooks i dont think it will be a prob mate

they are not a noisy bird unless they are spooked

jimroden

• Experienced Member
How noisy?
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 10:38 »
It is only the cocerels that make a row most hens just cluck about i dont here my neighbours at all unless i am listening for them

Jim
Dont tell lies you get in trouble

Viv

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.oldmotherhubbardsgarden.blogspot.com
How noisy?
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 11:33 »
Chickens do not make a noise, well, anything that could be considered a noise, they sometimes call out when they have laid and egg! Its the Cocks that are noisey and can cause people to complain.
Happiest in the countryside.
Breathe deeply, and let the butterflies fly in formation!

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
How noisy?
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 11:36 »
I have three Black Rocks and they are VERY noisy - my neighbours complain constantly

naturesparadise

How noisy?
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 11:57 »
i think you need to look at breeds some will be more noisy than others

ck2day

• Experienced Member
How noisy?
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 11:57 »
As said before, they only really make a noise after they have laid an egg, and even that doesn't last long (30 seconds at the most for my ladies). We have 21 now and my neighbours havent complained at all. (Mind you we live in the country), but that aside they make less noise than the average child playing in the garden!

Might be worth speaking to your neighbours if you think there is a going to be a problem and putting them at the bottom of your garden to lessen any(!!) noise they make.

A trip to somewhere that has hens can often make up your mind for you if noise might be a problem

Glen

• Experienced Member
How noisy?
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 12:10 »
Sounds like a good idea!

One you have chooks and a home for them are they expensive to keep and is there anything else i would need?

happyhenman

How noisy?
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 12:57 »
you could get some bantams-ihave pekins-hardly notice they were there!bantams lay smaller eggs,but are just as good.pekins do tend to go broody easily though.it just depends if you want them for pleasure or egg production!wouldnt recomend a cockerel though if you are concerned with noise.i also have some black rocks-good layers but noisy and demanding!start being vocal as soon as its light,wanting to be out!also if you get pekins or any featherfooted bantam they wont dig your garden up-unlike black rocks!hope this helps! :)

poultrygeist

How noisy?
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 13:04 »
Our Amberlinks can have their noisy moments but again no worse than kids or a dog having a mad 5 minutes.

The runnign costs are prob offset by the egg production. A sack of pellets lasts us something like 6 weeks for 6 chooks. And there was a lot of spillage early on. Corn lasts several months cos it's only an afternoon treat. Greens can be grown to offset the cost. Other than that, it's initial outlay for disinfectant, mite powder, etc. Cost about £50 for everything but they'll last for a year or more.
There's wood shavings/straw at maybe £2 or £3/month at most.
You can use shredded paper.

Rob

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
How noisy?
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 15:57 »
My three Black Rocks hardly cost anything to keep, the biggest expense was the house and all the weldmesh I used to create a scure pen (now they are never in it as they want to be in the garden all the time!)  You don't need to buy feeders as you should be able to find something suitable around the house (I bought expensive galvanised ones and they still give them a good kicking so the food goes everywhere).  I would buy a good quality feed though - you get out what you put in!!  A sack of food will last a failrly long time and you can supplement this with some treats (not too many though) I use shredded paper for bedding with some barley straw which lasts ages. Apart from the grit and oyster shell I don't spend much on mine. If I have excess eggs (my 3 lay around 18 a week) my neighbours are queing up for them and they give me 50p for a half dozen which goes towards their up-keep.

I would shop around for their coop or make one, there are some really expensive ones out there and some good bargains to be had too.  Just make sure it has all the basic requirements and will last.  Spend your money on some good protection from foxes too - don't use chicken wire the fox will bite through it, use weld mesh its expensive but good stuff.

happyhenman

How noisy?
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 16:18 »
50p for half a dozen?you are being robbed-no wonder they are queueing up!!!you could easily charge between £1-1.50!check supermarket prices-dont sell yourself short!! :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
How noisy?
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 16:28 »
I've just put my eggs up to £1.50p for a dozen, but a lot of people around here are charging £2 a dozen now!

xx
So noisy

Started by slowef on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 19, 2007, 07:03
by Aunt Sally
xx
very noisy hen

Started by DavenJu on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 21, 2011, 09:55
by Beakybird
xx
noisy hen

Started by LadyPlod on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 11:46
by LadyPlod
xx
Very noisy Hen!!

Started by honeysuckle farm on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 20:29
by mountainvicar

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 29 queries.