Potato Days

• 10 Replies

pilcooper

Potato Days
« on: October 09, 2006, 09:45 »
Hi,

I'm new to this list and, as it is the time that seed catalogues appear on the doormat, I would like to tell those of you who haven't heard about them about Potato Days.

The idea was dreamt up around 13 years ago by the HDRA (the organic gardening organisation) when the number of varieties of potato (and other) seeds were reducing.

There are now over 10 one or two day events around the country where you can choose an individual tuber of anything up to 150 varieties. The idea being that, if you don't know what you like you can pick just a few to try to see if they suit you and your allotment. If you do know what you like but haven't been able to find it elsewhere you should find it (and buy a couple of varieties new to you to see what they are like). Not only do they have large quanties of seed potato they also have talks on potato growing, expert advice and many have (potato) cookery demonstrations - most have something to keep the kids entertained too. They do charge an entry fee but if you compare this with the cost of postage from the large seed catalogues and add in the things I've just mentioned, I think they are good value.

For some years I have been running the Hampshire event and have been publicising it and others on the web. The information I have to date about events in 2007 is at UK Potato Days, the best, of course, is the Hampshire Potato Day where you can find the largest choice of tubers.

There are now some Garden Centres which are offering large quantites of varieties and the option to pick individual tubers, some of those are in the list. If you know of any others please let me know.

hermon

Potato Days
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 13:56 »
sounds fantastic but none near me :(

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Potato Days
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 15:27 »
there's one in south london i went to. http://www.potatofair05.com/ Ugly website though  :?
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

pilcooper

Potato Days
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 17:53 »
Quote from: "hermon"
..... none near me :(

Hampshire isn't that far!!

I have visitors from Kent across to South Wales

Phil

Martin

• Experienced Member
Potato Days
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 21:45 »
Quote from: "hermon"
none near me :(

Got my seed potatoes from the Hampshire Potato day this year, and it was well worth driving an hour each way. I'll be there in January!
Martin

pilcooper

Potato Days
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 21:49 »
Martin,

The cheque's in the post!!!!  :D

Martin

• Experienced Member
Potato Days
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 15:46 »
Hi, just wanted to remind people of potato days held at end of January as described by Phil Cooper at the start of this (old) thread. I'll be going to the Hampshire one again this year on 26/27 January.

They have around 150 varieties available (many organic). The list of varieties seems to be a bit out of date though (appears to date from 2006/7). Maybe Phil or anyone else involved with the Hampshire event could update it.

Sally A

Potato Days
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 15:54 »
Sploger and Seadart shuould be there, forum members are expected to wear a parsnip behind their ear so they will be instantly recognisable :!:

Pending the launch of a possible logo competition :!:

You read it here first folks.

There is some more about the hampshire spud day somewhere else, I think the google link is whitchurch web or something.

philc

Re: Potato Days
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 09:25 »
Thanks to anyone who came to the Hampshire Potato Day - if you have any suggestions for improvements please post away

Dunblane - details just in

Dunblane Gardening Club/Dunblane Allotment Group. Dunblane Potato Day, on SATURDAY 27th FEBRUARY 2010 from 10.0am - 3.00pm in the Victoria Halls, Dunblane. We will be selling 40-50 varieties of seed potato, that you are able to buy in very small quantities. Also on sale will be onions sets, shallots and garlic. Snacks and lunches will be served too. For more information, please contact Rhona Peet on 01786 823954.

Details of other days are at http://www.potatoday.org/potatodays.htm
Phil

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 09:31 »
It would be nice to hear from you more than just the 3 times in over 3 years, when you come on just to publicise your Potato Days, Phil!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

diggerjoe

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 09:53 »
The potato day was a tad disspointing for me at Ryton Organic  this year. I went on the day open to the public as I was working on the members day and several varieties has been sold out the day before. It would have been good to save a few back to let the public try some of the varieties. The list for Hampshire was impressive. I had a second choice list so I still have more than enough but was dissapointed not get any druid and lady balfour so have gone down the online route for those. Mind you the sample of chocolate and potato cake was very good  :D

xx
Potato Days

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 24, 2017, 18:15
by whitehill1
xx
potato days

Started by steven c on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 23, 2021, 18:00
by snowdrops
xx
Potato Days

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 28, 2007, 17:57
by sweet nasturtium
xx
Seed Potatoes - Potato Days

Started by bean on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 30, 2007, 23:56
by sweet nasturtium

Page created in 0.466 seconds with 39 queries.