delia bread

• 23 Replies

chrissie B

delia bread
« on: September 06, 2015, 19:07 »
Did a belia wwite loaf yesterday it took an absolute age to prove it only had a 3/4mteaspoon of fast yeast found it a bit salty myself but hubby liked it it had a lovley smell just makes 1 large loaf .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

DanielCoffey

Re: delia bread
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 20:05 »
What amounts of the ingredients did it call for?

My typical sandwich loaf is 500g strong white flour, 1 rounded tsp of fine salt (about 7g), 1 sachet of fast yeast (or 20g of fresh yeast if you have it) and 320ml to 330ml of warm water. Optionally you can add 2tbsp of light olive oil if you prefer a slightly softer loaf. I tend to allow to rise covered in a warm place until doubled, knock back and put in a lightly buttered 2lb loaf tin (don't use olive oil as it will stick), cover and allow to rise until almost doubled then bake at 200C for 45mins.

My variations involve replacing up to 20% of the flour with light rye flour, taking out 10ml of the water (rye makes a stickier loaf) and upping the cooking time to 50 mins.

I recommend Shipton Mill for flour if you are making it regularly but store it in plastic boxes. I know that Sainsburys do some Taste The Difference flours that seem to match the Shipton Mill range and are well priced.

Brod and Taylor do a nice folding proofer that keeps dough warm (I use 26-27C) and also handles home yogurt making (41C). Amazon stock it and I can answer questions if you PM me.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 16:42 by DanielCoffey »

chrissie B

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 00:27 »
Thanks for all that info , dont remember off hand but im sure it was 2 teaspoons of salt and 3/4 teaspoon of fast yeast it took ages to prove it was a large loaf , would other oil be ok i use butter as a rule unless it says oil but i was thinking sesame might be nice ,  ive used sainsburys budget  brand flour its ok not bad at 95 pim going through different types to see which one i like .
chrissie b

DanielCoffey

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 16:42 »
You can certainly use butter in a loaf - just put a good chunk, equivalent to a couple of tablespoons, in a small bowl, cover it in clingfilm and microwave for about 15s till melted and add it just before the warm water.

The amount of salt sounds high but it depends on the amount of flour. One rounded tsp per 500g is usual.

If you want a sesame flavour, try adding a good few tbsp (about 1/4 cup) of white sesame seeds in with the flour. It will add a delicate flavour, especially to the crust. You can use pumpkin seeds too.

Shipton Mill flour is a premium brand at about £1.20 a kilo. Doves is good too but any Strong White or Strong Wholemeal will taste better than a store-bought loaf.

chrissie B

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 21:18 »
Have to agree there just did a half and half loaf realy tasty i love brown bread much nicer than white  . Have you been baking bread long ?ive given up on trying to get it crusty its ok for a while but the breads ok .
chrissie b

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 21:19 »
Try putting a tin of water in the oven for crusty bread
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 21:35 »
When you think the loaf is cooked, put it back in the oven for another 5-10mins - then it'll be crusty  :lol:

DanielCoffey

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 07:32 »
I have been making bread at home for the two of us for about fifteen years... ever since an "accident" with a teddybear-shaped chocolate covered doughnut from what turned out to be a somewhat unhygienic local bakery. I regretted that doughnut for roughly two weeks.

The local rumour goes that as some late-night bank staff exited their training session next door and walked past the outside of the bakery window, the mice walked past the inside. Health and Safety found mice, of course. There were pigeons in the flour store and no hand-washing facilities for staff. It is an IFA office now.

Ever since then I have cooked my own bread. Nigella once said that a loaf of bread is ten minutes work spread over a three hour period.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 13:15 »
We don't eat shop bread at all now, but because of my hands, I'm not good at kneading, so I let my breadmaker do the hard work, then finish the loaf off in the oven.

I usually use frylight to grease the tins as I'm trying to keep my weight down, but I do have one tin that sticks Daniel, so do you think if I use butter to grease it, it will stop it sticking?   mmmmm  will try that this afternoon.

I rarely make white bread, just different variations of wholemeal, rye or whatever.  But if I'm in a rush, I do like the Wrights mixes, especially their parmesan and sun dried tomato bread, or the focaccia, or the ciabatta, which I make into rolls and freeze before rising.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 15:53 »
The tins I have are pressed aluminium but I don't remember where I got them from. Bakery Bits in the UK still stock them as a "seamless aluminium loaf tin".

Olive oil will go sticky. Butter or peanut oil won't.

I don't use the tins all the time - only if the dough is a little  slack. I prefer to use wooden bannetons to support the dough while it is rising.

oldgrunge

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 21:31 »
To stop any tin sticking, I grease with butter, olive oil, or veg oil, then dust that with flour. never ever sticks guaranteed!
Also bread is improved by a long, slow rise, I never make warm dough, usually the water is at about 17 - 20 deg.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 08:33 »
I started using a baking release spray earlier this year, after seeing it used on GB Bake Off and now use it on all my tins.

It makes everything non-stick  :D
http://www.oetker.co.uk/uk-en/our-products/home-baking/baking-ingredients/cake-release-spray/cake-release-spray.html

Other brands are available - I use the Wilton spray cos I know I can also use it on my fondant icing moulds and cutters  :)

DanielCoffey

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 17:19 »
I always wondered what was in that stuff. I'm happy to use butter since it takes so little to cover even a large loaf tin.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 17:40 »
Each to their own  :)

oldgrunge

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2015, 21:34 »
Forgot to say, I never wash my loaf tins. Just wipe them out with a kitchen towel.

xx
Bread machines

Started by LILLILEAF on Kitchen Natter

7 Replies
Last post October 06, 2022, 17:46
by rowlandwells
xx
Old bread flour.

Started by Elaine G on Kitchen Natter

4 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 18:58
by DanielCoffey
xx
Bread flour - just in time!

Started by mumofstig on Kitchen Natter

15 Replies
Last post July 16, 2020, 17:28
by jaydig
xx
Allergen free bread

Started by Beetroot Queen on Kitchen Natter

30 Replies
Last post November 14, 2014, 20:47
by barley

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 40 queries.