how deep for root barrier?

• 4 Replies

SidReal

how deep for root barrier?
« on: May 17, 2011, 10:16 »
Hello, I'd like to surround areas of my allotment with a kind of root barrier, wood slabs placed into the ground to prevent weed roots such as cooch grass, bindweed, thistles, nettles etc from tunnelling underground into cleared areas - I wonder, how deep this barrier underground would need to be? I'm sure different for each species of plant - which of these send their roots the deepest, and what depth would this be? I think cooch grass is the main concern for me...

~thanks, ~sid
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:17 by SidReal »

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
Re: how deep for root barrier?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 10:29 »
I would say at least a couple of feet deep. Main problems are:

The wood will rot (even treated wood) after about 5 years as it will be wet all the time.

The roots will force their way between the planks or through knot holes or any (even tiny) gaps.

It will hold back the main force of roots in the short-term tho  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

mobilekat

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 10:34 »
I agree with Aelf, especially since the chemicals used to treat wood have changed you will be lucky to get 5 years out of your barrier.

If it was your garden and you were looking for a long term solution I would suggest a wall with deep foundations- I know of people who have literally dug 3 foot down and put concrete and then concrete blocks in to prevent incoming weeds!

You may find one of the plastic options is more cost effective in the long term

Good luck!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 11:56 »
I would suggest corrugated plastic sheeting (about £3.47 per metre, 660mm wide from W*ckes, although that's the only place I've priced it.)

Buried vertically in the soil that would give you a long lasting and inpenetrable barried about 2' deep which some roots might still get underneath but you probably couldn't easily dig much deeper than that anyway (or just wouldn't want to!)

A double thickness of pond liner used the same way would possibly be a bit cheaper but despite its puncture resistance I think some weeds could probably still get through it.

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 13:13 »

Get down to your local business site/park and track down the fabricators,  grab all their offcuts of galvanised tin.   ::) Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

xx
raspberry root barrier?

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post November 17, 2009, 17:19
by whitehartlottie
xx
DEEP ROOT TREE STUMP + WEEDKILLER

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 18, 2007, 09:30
by pookey
xx
Deep or shallow root trainers, especially for brassicas

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 16, 2016, 10:36
by Snoop
xx
Swiss Chard barrier

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 22, 2007, 13:34
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 35 queries.