The ground is like a bog

• 27 Replies

cbv8

Re: The ground is like a bog
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 15:33 »
Pepsi100 I did mine like this a few corrugated sheets bought from Wicks and all is dry well except for the odd leak from securing screws but basically dry and they dirt bath every day rain or shine no probs there happy enough:D good luck  ;)
coop 005.JPG
coop 006.JPG

pepsi100

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 16:30 »
You can see the garage wall at the back, the rain doesnt run into the run though, it slopes the other way)

Here is the run, last winter, a bit of snow, but the ground stayed quite good and I was able to dig it over

Here it is in the summer (just gone) As you can see they are quite happy pecking around, they get plenty of greens

Here it is now  >:(

I take the panels down when I dig it over for them, which used to be a weekly thing, but I cant even dig this over with a forks, its just like trying to dig a slurry

I could put a tarp over each panel, but it would make it very dark in there and they need all the daylight they can get this time of the year, ach panel is 8 feet long, by about 4 feet wide, all meshed over, you should be able to see the wall which hold the dirt back and its raised about the rest of the garden

Hope this is clear  :)

It's all about the journey, not the destination

MartF

• Easy-Netshop
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 16:45 »
That makes things easier to understand, there should be no problem with the roofing sheets from Wickes or B&Q etc as mentioned in this thread as above. They would solve the problem and there would still be light enough for them.

Here's a link to Wickes ones, they are not expensive and you maybe wouldn't need to cover the whole run......

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/240154
I'm not young enough to know everything!

cbv8

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 16:53 »
You need to keep the elements off it and then I think you will be dry you using corrugated plastic sheeting or similar you have got the perfect opportunity to slope the rain down into a gutter etc and away from the area  ;)

pepsi100

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 18:59 »
I got a dozen sheets on order, thanks, I'll let you know how it goes :)

MartF

• Easy-Netshop
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 19:01 »
Looking forward to seeing the next photos then!

cbv8

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 19:33 »
Here's a link to Wickes ones, they are not expensive and you maybe wouldn't need to cover the whole run......

[/quote] I think if you covered the whole run it would be called a Chicken Cloche :nowink: ie they would bake  :ohmy:

pepsi100

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 19:39 »

I think if you covered the whole run it would be called a Chicken Cloche :nowink: ie they would bake  :ohmy:
[/quote]

Not in this weather, they got more chance of growing webbed feet :)

I am just hoping it dont fog up when it starts drying out  :(

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 20:19 »
Hi Pepsi. You say in your post that the wall holds the dirt back and it's raised above the rest of the garden. I have to ask do you have drainage holes at the bottom of the wall?. If not the ground will not drain and become saturated.When building a retaining wall I normally leave a 50mm gap (weep hole)at ground level at least every metre.
Hope this help. Geo
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 20:42 by Geo »

pepsi100

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2013, 22:31 »
Yes the water does drain away, but bevcause of the amount of rain we have had, the ground is saturated

The grass you cant see isnt much better,  in fact all the grass areas around here are water logged

As for leaves, they are soaking as well what few there are, I tried to find where they were cutting up fallen trees, but they have all been cleared now and would seem to have gone to various parks where they get used

pepsi100

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 16:10 »
that's it all done, all the panels now have wiggly plastic on them, just wait for it to dry out now (might be ready for spring  :))

Here they are all in place now

« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 16:12 by pepsi100 »

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2013, 15:05 »
Hi,

My run is 36 m2 I usually buy about 3 bags of wood chip from the garden centre and chuck it in the worst bit so at least the area from the hen house to the feeder and gate is covered. Have also chucked in leaves before. It does sink in after a while but I find I only need to do it about once a year.

It is at least a bit less splashy.
Bev

pepsi100

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2013, 15:27 »
I think I am going to have to get some of this wood chips, just to give em something dry to walk on, its taking an age to dry out

Tried digging it yesterday, that was a waste of time  >:(

xx
what to put on the ground in their run

Started by Brad26 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 28, 2011, 23:41
by viettaclark
xx
What to put on the ground in a run.

Started by crh75 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 11, 2009, 17:25
by AmandaH
xx
different ground

Started by jason g on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 15:52
by jason g
xx
Roosting on the ground

Started by Cat on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 23:11
by Cat

Page created in 0.51 seconds with 38 queries.