Egg laying mystery

• 7 Replies

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
Egg laying mystery
« on: December 25, 2009, 21:54 »
As I am new to egg laying habits and so is Sky, I wanted to ask if her behaviour is 'normal' for a newbie layer. She has produced an egg for the last three days at totally different times (around 6am, then 11am, then 4pm) and a different place each time (corner of the coop, middle of the coop, under the coop). Has anyone else had this experience? She seems quite happy with herself and doing everything else normally, apart from developing an obsession with me!   :unsure:

dizzylizzie

Re: Egg laying mystery
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 22:13 »
That is perfectly normal-dont worry. :D

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 23:08 »
I have a young bantam that has just come into lay (this past week) its needed a bit of detective work to try and find her eggs at the moment! :tongue2: So dont worry she is probably looking to find somewhere she is happy to lay. Good time to make sure her diet is rich in calcium at the mo, maybe have some oyster shell in a pot for her to peck at. :D

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 09:18 »
Thanks, that makes me feel better! They have grit available in two places, mash for breakfast with poultry spice, mealworms when I've cleaned them out, grapes and spinach early afternoon, mixed corn before bed and cabbage available all day - do you think that is ok Foxy? When Sky had laid her 4pm egg yesterday the others were getting ready to go to bed but she was hungry and thirsty so I got her some extra corn and sat with her until she'd had enough to eat and drink and went to bed.
When I was getting my last shopping before getting the girls I asked for oyster shell but they didn't want to sell it to me, only grit! I will have another go when they reopen. ::)

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 11:50 »
If her eggshells are nice and strong, I expect she is absolutely fine!
be a good idea to check that as she is now in lay that most (90%) of her diet comes from a proprietry layers pellet/mash ;)

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 16:53 »
Hi Foxy, she's having layers mash and layers pellets are available all day for them all. Sue

kittyb

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 17:16 »
I have a young Rhode Island Red called Rocky,she has a habit of laying on the corner of the lawn when let out to freerange-she is an afternoon layer.Others lay mornings in the boxes or floor of chuck house if caught short,maybe because they are youngsters :unsure:

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 11:54 »
Hens take 25 hours to make an egg so they are unlikely to lay at the same time every day :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Intermittent egg laying/ thin shells/ no laying at all

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 11:34
by Jomtie
xx
Laying then sitting but not laying?

Started by MrTwang on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 21:48
by MrTwang
xx
Its a mystery!

Started by PaulineM on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 17:05
by louiseb22

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 28 queries.