Muscovy Ducks

• 19 Replies

animal mad

• Experienced Member
Muscovy Ducks
« on: September 30, 2009, 16:03 »
i am getting a pair of ducks at the weekend, and would love some help with regards to the size of the house they need and the best type. they will be free during the day.

Vember

Re: Muscovy Ducks
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 16:11 »
Hi AM

Suppose size really depends on whether you will stop at 2 :lol:

Ducks needs housing wise are very basic, they don't need perches or a nest box, a dog kennel size house with a secure door will be fine :)

I have a thought somewhere that Muscovies are able to roost ???, can't think at the moment where that snippet of info has come from  :wacko: :lol: Even so they will be fine in a kennel :)

Sarah :)

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 16:19 »
thanks, i have just been reading some threads on type of ducks, i want to breed them for meat , which is why i have decided on this breed.has anyone got any experience of them.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 16:24 »
There are a couple of members on here who have them so sure they will be along at some point and can give you some advice.
All I know about them is theoretical.

They are some of the best fliers and definately will need wing clipping, as Sarah said, they can fly into tree to roost/perch. They are the quietest ducks. They make good mothers. That's about the limit of my knowledge. :blush:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Spana

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 17:30 »
How lovely, they really are wonderful to own. :)

I only have one now but have had as many as 40+ . If fact we had Muscovy for dinner last night.
They are very friendly and quiet, like water but dont swim a lot and are tremendous fliers.  Mine used to fly up from the lake  and over the house, quite a sight to see in groups of 20 or more.  They would land in the fields to graze and that was their down fall as the fox would catch them easily.
Mine never ever used a house but would roost on its roof or on the roof of the duck rearing pens.  They like to be up high at night but if you have to shut them up have a door on the house so they can walk straight in.
 They dont put on meat very quickly, I think they need to be 6months or more before culling, but thats just my choice and the meat is very dark .  The breast meat is superb but the legs need slow cooking.
They are great birds, I'm a big fan and if I had to choose one breed to own it would be Muscovy. 
Oh, the eggs are lovely as well.

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 20:01 »
do they do a lot of damage, i have been given the use of some land by the side of a garden center, i was going to give them an enclosure about 50 feet by 30 feet, possibly a bit more, but didnt know if this would be ok for a pair and what sort of fencing. i was also going to have a hen enclosure next door, could they run together or is it best to keep the chickens away. i have told the owner they may fly out of the run and he isnt too bothered as long as they dont cause too much damage.

Spana

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 20:43 »
I cant think of any damage that mine ever did.  They do a lot of poo and duck poo is not the best in any area where you walk.  Dont know if they will eat a lot of the plants in the garden center tho. I'd often find some of mine in my veg garden but they never did any damage, just think they were looking for slugs. They eat a lot of grass and they will need to have access to water of some sort even if its just a bath so they can rinse their heads.  They like to splash about in water after feeding or when they wake up from the afternoon nap if the weather is warm.  They become very tame, more so than other ducks and breed easily .  I had a problem with crows taking the ducklings but they are very cute.
Mine lived semiwild with all the other ducks down at our lake. I had 2 cockerels down there as well at the time and they were great friends with the Muscovies so i cant see you will have any trouble having them close to hens.  They are very laid back about most things .

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 20:59 »
that sounds perfect. i cant wait. i just need to get my husband to make me a duck house for the weekend, they are coming on saturday.

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 08:15 »
did you keep yours for meat as well , if so did you do the deed yourself and what is the best method, thanks for all your help

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 08:26 »
I can only repeat what I have read but they do like to roost off the ground, straw bales were suggested so perhaps a box of some sort with bedding on.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Spana

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 09:51 »
did you keep yours for meat as well , if so did you do the deed yourself and what is the best method, thanks for all your help

Not intentionally.  We started we them because they are friendly and calm.  We have a lot of people stay here on holiday, they are good with children and will come up and take bread from their hands.  All the ducks live in a very natural setting and nest in sheltered nest boxes on the island or in the rushes around the lake which has electric netting all round.  The Muscovy's did extremely well so you get to the point where you have to control numbers.  Its a waste not to eat them.
We use a wall mounted dispatcher.  OH is brilliant at it but says they are the hardest birds to do, much harder than Turkeys. 
We produce nearly all our own meat, chicken,duck, turkey, and beef but we didn't like culling the Muscovys which is why we dont keep them now, apart from the one old girl that is left.
I Know, we've become a pair of wimps in our old age :blush:

Hawthorn Harry

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 10:06 »
I feel sorry for your husband - no pressure to get things ready for Saturday!!!  Still, I'm sure he has nothing better to do than become all creative!!!  I wish him good luck

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 18:33 »
i have a new problem i am meant to be collecting my ducks tomorrow and have been let down with the land and now i can only keep them in the garden, is this going to be ok. does anyone keep muscovy in the garden, how much mess do they make.thanks

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 18:49 »
I have 10 ducks in my garden and yes they do make a mess and no I wouldn't have it any other way!

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 19:23 »
are they muscovy ducks, i am worried about the space for them, wasnt sure if i could pen off an area of my garden so the cats can used to them in their own time.i also have a 6 year old who likes to play in the garden often bare footed. is duck poo like chicken poo because that wouldnt be a problem as i could just poo pick , sorry with all the questions

xx
Muscovy ducks not getting on

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 03, 2009, 08:27
by animal mad
xx
muscovy ducks

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 11, 2007, 20:36
by muntjac
xx
muscovy ducks

8 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 08:47
by Rubellite
xx
muscovy ducks help

4 Replies
Last post October 17, 2009, 18:14
by animal mad

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 28 queries.