When to add the sugar to fermenting grapes????

• 2 Replies

MellowYellow

When to add the sugar to fermenting grapes????
« on: September 09, 2012, 12:35 »
Hi guys.  We have been making our own wine for about 4 years and last year it went wrong so we are trying something new.

We normally add the sugar at the beginning of the fermentation process but this year would like to try making the juice first then straining the grapes after a couple of days and then adding the yeast and sugar to the juice.

Does anyone recommend this method and if so could they give me some ideas as to timings and quantities.  I was thinking of leaving the crushed grapes in a fermenting barrel for a couple of days with a campden tablet then using the strained juice to make the wine but I'm not too sure of the quantities.

There are plenty of recipes on the net but I trust this forum and would much rather go with your advice.

Thank you  :)
What is it about my kitchen that is so more appealing to the chickens than the back garden!!!   ;-)

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
Re: When to add the sugar to fermenting grapes????
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 21:43 »
If you take a SG reading as soon as you've pressed the juice you should be able to calculate the sugar required to ferment dry to your target ABV.  At least that's what I'd try.. I haven't had a crop from my vines yet (only planted this year).

If in doubt, refer to CJJ Berry.  I know he has a section on making wine from your own grapes.

ilan

• Experienced Member
Re: When to add the sugar to fermenting grapes????
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 21:44 »
possibly that would not work . I would make a starter up using a good wine yeast sugar acid and fruit juice in a bottle once its working  add this with a campden tablet to the crushed grapes leave for a couple of days strain then add a small amount of sugar and let ferment out . grapes on there own should have enough sugar to make the wine so you should not use to much or you will end up with a hot firey thin wine which wont taste nice  
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

xx
Brewing sugar or Ordinary sugar

Started by n.b83 on Homebrew

17 Replies
Last post May 29, 2010, 00:36
by ohbeary
xx
Fermenting spirits

Started by sion01 on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post January 26, 2011, 07:24
by Thrift
question
fermenting lager...

Started by steve chip on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post January 31, 2011, 13:35
by rubixs
xx
spirits still fermenting

Started by sion01 on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2011, 10:13
by mike1987

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 38 queries.