Curly Kale

• 7 Replies

hubballi

Curly Kale
« on: March 03, 2009, 07:21 »
I am a novice so please forgive me. I planted some Curly kale last summer on reading that it was an easy and pest free veg to grow. This wasn't the case as it only every got to about 3 inches high. The slugs also ravaged them too so 3 out of six survived. I fed them with seaweed and comfrey . They are picking up again now with new healthy leaves.

The question is, shall I continue to grow these for another season so I have them big for  winter or should I plant new ones again. I am just a bit reluctant to grow any more as they are so difficult to get going.

Thanks.

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
Re: Curly Kale
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 07:48 »
replant new ones. strange i have never had any problems with them, the pigeons did attack them when we had all the snow but that was because it was the only thing they could get to.

did you start them off in pots then plant them out? i find it gives things a head start from the slugs

Stripey_cat

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 10:21 »
The ones you have now will bolt to seed in a few more months.  However, they may well produce some useful greens between now and then, so I'd leave them in until you actually need the room for something else.  The next month or two are going to be maddening for lack of green-stuffs, as the overwintered brassicas and chard start to bolt, and our new sowings are still tiny - I was reduced to bulking up chard with gone-over rocket last night (it tastes quite nice, actually, like mustard greens once it's cooked, but it isn't stylish).

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 11:42 »
I am shocked you have had problems, kale was the only greens to survive the plague of caterpillars this year. As above take what you can over the next few weeks then start a fresh lot for the coming winter/spring.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 15:22 »
Mine were fine, planted from pots and all 8 plants did great. White fly was a bit of a pain, and I shared mine with the pigeons when it snowed too  >:(
Will Caverlo Nero bolt if left in as well? They are shooting lots of new leaves now.

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 16:09 »
Mine were fine, planted from pots and all 8 plants did great. White fly was a bit of a pain, and I shared mine with the pigeons when it snowed too  >:(
Will Caverlo Nero bolt if left in as well? They are shooting lots of new leaves now.
Yes, as soon as the weather warms properly this will trigger them off.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 17:33 »
mine came up just fine and have overwintered really well.  I started them in pots and transplanted them when the seed packet said to (can't remember when that was).

A couple of things come to mind from what you have said;

If they were started off in pots; did they ever become over / underwatered / kept in pots too long so that their roots were pot bound?  any one of these (or a combination of) would cause a check in their growth which might prevent them from racing away when they were put in the ground.

If the area you have them in is acidic did you add some lime to sweeten the ground? brassicas hate acid ground and will not perform well.  Remember, if you do use lime not to put your taties there next time round otherwise they'll be scabby.

did you add any organic matter ie manure?  Kale, being a leafy brassicca, needs lots of nitrogen to produce leaves.

Re the slug problem;  slugs are attracted do dying foliage.  are you removing yellowing / dead leaves or are they allowed to fall to the soil?   If you have a problem with whitefly then just periodically (about once a week / fortnight) make up some soapy water (washing up liquid in water is fine) and spray the leaves with it, making sure to spray the underside of the leaves as well because that's where they live and breed.

Sorry I can't be any more help than this and it's a shame you've missed out on your kale this year.  I'd deffo say just start again for this coming winter and don't worry; it's all about learning from experience!

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 18:17 »
Of course they be another problem which I forgot about that may be causing the lack of growth, clubroot. When you decide to lift them just check the roots, if they are all nobbly than you have it and you need to lime before the next batch goes in.

xx
curly kale

Started by reianki on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 19:00
by Rowan
xx
Curly red kale

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 25, 2012, 12:34
by viettaclark
xx
Curly kale help

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 22:02
by mumofstig
xx
Curly Kale

Started by BazTheGardener on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 11:11
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 38 queries.