A few questions...

• 7 Replies

NorfolkVeg

A few questions...
« on: May 11, 2011, 21:34 »
Sorry for lumping these together but i thought it better than starting a million topics and I can;t find the answers by searching...so here goes

1. I planted sweetcorn and baby sweetcorn in paper pots on the sameday, the sweetcorn ave germinated and are about an inch tall, but nothing from the babycorn seeds - have I done something wrong?  There are some tiny small muchroom like sprouts on the surface of the compost in the paperpots?

2. I planted some early purple sprouting broccoli in a cat litter tray - I've had a good germination rate and the seedlings are now about 3'' tall - Now what is the best thing to do with them, pot or plant out and when?

3. I have some leaves on my cucumber plants going white around the edges - some planted in greenhouse and some outside - not all showing same signs?

4. I planted a ginger root I bought from B&Q fo 50p, what happens once planted -  I planted it 2 weeks ago and can't see anything happening yet?

Cheers anyone for any advice..

Rick

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: A few questions...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 22:01 »
In future, please do start separate threads.  It makes it far easier for others to find posts which are relevant to them if the title states what it's about rather than a generic title which doesn't give any information away.  It also helps on google searches.

Also, it makes answering questions ieasier f there's only one thing to think about rather than lots!  :)

Afraid I don't know the answer to any of your questions though  :(
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

daisy1990

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 22:07 »
baby sweetcorn takes longer to germinate in my experience, but if it isnt through three weeks post planting I would ditch it and start again with new seed (plenty of time yet).  White edges on the plants can be several things- scorch if the sun has been directly on them, lack of nutrients etc- post pictures if you can and you will get a better reply.  Purple sprouting brocolli, I would plant on in pots until all danger of frost is passed.  No idea about the ginger but would be interested in growing some as I love ginger, so will watch this post to see if others know
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 22:13 »
does this thread answer your ginger question...........cos otherwise I'm no help (who said-'what's new?' ) :unsure:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=51913.msg617117#msg617117

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 22:43 »
My seedling cucumbers decided to try and give up the ghost after just a few nights in the greenhouse which turned out to be too cold for their very delicate constitutions!

I brought them back into the house where they have reluctantly decided to live for a bit longer (and the symptoms are exactly what you have described with yours.)

They do get less suicidal when the temperatures become a bit warmer and less variable but you will be very lucky if the ones you have got outdoors survive without a bit of intensive care treatment first!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 23:43 »
As JayG says... cucumbers do not like over-night dips in temperature and can suddenly collapse as a result leaving you with a flopped plant than will be very reluctant to recover.  :(

Dry and crisp round the edge of the leaf may be because the air around it is too dry but this is just a guess.  :blink:

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

NorfolkVeg

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 11:19 »
baby sweetcorn takes longer to germinate in my experience, but if it isnt through three weeks post planting I would ditch it and start again with new seed (plenty of time yet).  White edges on the plants can be several things- scorch if the sun has been directly on them, lack of nutrients etc- post pictures if you can and you will get a better reply.  Purple sprouting brocolli, I would plant on in pots until all danger of frost is passed.  No idea about the ginger but would be interested in growing some as I love ginger, so will watch this post to see if others know

Thanks daisy - I'm Ginger myself and I always say - Everyone loves a bit of Ginger!!  LOL

Gandan57

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 12:48 »
Reguarding your broccoli, you could pot them on as they are a bit small to transplant.

On the other hand if the weather is cool and catchy where you live you could plant them out in the ground. Give them a good watering and the pots you were going to plant them in could be placed upside down over each plant to keep the sun off them. If you leave the plants covered for four days you will avoid the sad wilted brassicas that we see everywhere.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

xx
A few PSB questions

Started by Robert_S on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 11, 2012, 11:23
by digalotty
xx
A few questions

Started by Hodgey on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 07:53
by Hodgey
xx
Two questions...

Started by DoctorJon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 30, 2007, 22:57
by WG.
xx
A few questions!

Started by Polytunnel-er on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 12:38
by Stevens706

Page created in 0.408 seconds with 40 queries.