sick chickens

• 1 Replies

moomoos42

sick chickens
« on: November 04, 2011, 10:11 »
Hello can any one advise me please?
i took on 3 ex batts 4 weeks ago. last friday Rosie started to wheeze. took her to vets and it was a chest infection. She had antibiotics but she was so under weight (1.86kg) she didn't have the strength to fight the infection and died yesterday.
Now i'm worried the others may catch it too. they are bigger and have been more active from the start. i give them apple  cider vinager and their combs have got brighter. but they are still bald in places and today they got soaking wet because they didn't know to get out of the rain. as i write this they are drying in the hall! i'm scared that they wont cope with the winter and i'll lose them too. i've ordered a tarpaulin to cover the half of the coop that wasn't under the gazebo (cheap Argos job but has been great with my original 3 Gals all summer) what else can i do to keep them healthy?  :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: sick chickens
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 10:25 »
they should be fine over winter, just think they may never have seen rain so may enjoy just standing in it. So long as they have somewhere to shelter if they want to I wouldn't worry too much.
As for being bald in places a lot of my birds are as this is the normal time of year for birds to moult so again don't worry.
Sadly many ex batts do die soon after getting their freedom as they can't always cope with such a thing, but please do take heart and remember your little one spent her last few days knowing how chickens should be kept  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Help... Chickens sick...

Started by not my chickens but on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 15, 2008, 21:56
by Vember
xx
Sick Chickens

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 11, 2011, 10:16
by kegs
xx
Sick chickens

Started by ResidentEvilRock on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 17, 2008, 03:35
by ResidentEvilRock
xx
Sick Chickens

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 17:18
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 36 queries.