parsnips

• 7 Replies

m1ckz

parsnips
« on: July 05, 2013, 13:02 »
hi,,my parsnips have a few brown leaves on them,,was wondering if there is a cue for this,,,,or what is it  ty :unsure:

BabbyAnn

Re: parsnips
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 13:15 »
Last year I had some brown patches on my parsnips - looked a lot like blight so I did a spot of research and it turned out to be Celery Leaf Spot which affects all plants in the Umbelliferous group (carrots, celery, parsnip etc)  There was no cure other than to remove infected leaves and dispose rather than compost, and in future use treated seed

Rosehip

• My Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 13:42 »
Is it a patch or full leaf? Last year some of my parsnips got attacked by carrot root fly and the leaves turned brown/yellow.I had to cover with enviromesh this year.But  have got my celery instead this year.Im lucky in that I planted some spares in tunnel.Hope it's not this for you.

m1ckz

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 15:31 »
its patchy     an  ty

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 15:45 »
Parsnips can suffer from canker which usually shows as brownish areas around the shoulder (top) of the root. RHS advice says that the most likely causes are drought, over-rich soil or damage.

Plant them in well drained soil, avoid damaging the roots and don't plant too early. Carrot root fly can also cause damage allowing the infection in.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

seaside

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 16:25 »
Has anyone tried the efficacy of parsnip collars, similar to those employed for cabbage root fly. It seemed such a shame to fleece yet another crop and sort of hoped the snips might be less of a target for the fly.
I'm delighted with the 'snips so far, the tops look good and healthy, but now I'm not so sure leaving off the cover was such a good idea. Is it worth scraping away the soil ( and hence hopefully any pests before they burrow) on the necks of my parsnips and then protecting for the rest of the Summer, or will any flies already be down into the root ? I planted them outside on 12 May.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 16:35 »
I never found the collars for cabbage root fly any good. I think there are good and bad years with this particular pest.
We don't usually seem to have much problem with root fly on the parsnips, but the carrots are usually attacked.

Lisbon67

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 07:10 »
Happened mine last year too, but the roots were absolutely fine when I lifted them later in the year.

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
parsnips

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 12, 2013, 17:11
by sunshineband
xx
Old parsnips

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 18, 2007, 23:31
by Annie
xx
parsnips

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 09, 2016, 09:41
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 38 queries.