New to Allotments

• 16 Replies

BabbyAnn

Re: New to Allotments
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 19:05 »
An established and well tended plot can be hard work when in full time work so you did the right thing  ;)

Going back to the issue of rotavators,

If you are extremely lucky you may get one which is in good condition and been worked on recently and no weeds present... ONLY in this case can you use your rotavator... But you

I called at my plot this morning to harvest some winter veg and was pleasantly surprised to find parts of the plot looked neat and tidy ... but I know what's lurking under that soil.  Most perennial weeds like bindweed and marestail die back completely in winter so there are no obvious signs which shout "don't"!!

As you already found out in your garden, there are lots of pests around and I'm afraid to say, allotments can be breeding grounds.  Take a little time to read up on the different vegetables you want to grow and consider erecting barriers to prevent them from eating your crops.

Good luck with your new plot  :)

Yana

Re: New to Allotments
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 07:13 »
I've recently taken over an additional half plot that was looked after by the same gentleman for 40 years. He had kept the soil in good condition but the weeds have taken over a bit. I plan what i intend to do each time I go, always making sure that I can manage the planned tasks. That i always feel as if I have I achieved my plan. If I can get more done, that's great, but I don't get cross if I can't.
My first year (three years ago) I watched what others were doing and asked why and how to lottie holders and quizzed the folk that looked after the lottie shop. I've had disasters (loosing stuff to frost, blight, slugs), I've had successes (more French beans and beetroot than I know what to do with) and won the prize for best plot last year.
Every year is different, but I wouldn't be without my lottie now.  :D :D
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

xx
ALLOTMENTS

Started by Crumbly Oldy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 24, 2011, 19:07
by Willie_Eckerslike
xx
new to allotments

Started by ransome on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 21:45
by binner
xx
Available allotments

Started by samcol1995 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 05, 2007, 21:05
by frazzy
xx
New Allotments

Started by mikeimp on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 13, 2012, 16:03
by mikeimp

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 37 queries.