Spam flan from school days

• 13 Replies

chrissie B

Spam flan from school days
« on: June 26, 2020, 15:42 »
Anyone got a favourite school food spam flan was one of mine and I'm doing it today hubby likes his quiche  simple .
Chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Spam flan from school days
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 17:49 »
The school alternative to bacon I guess.

I loved gypsy tart and custard at school.  Never made it though.

wighty

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 19:57 »
I loved my schools spam fritters  :nowink: I often got my homework done for me by eating those that really didn't like them.   Tried to make at home but it just didn't taste the same. Fortunately I had a medical certificate that exempted me from a lot of the (insert your own description here as I don't know how to describe it, I started school in 1965).  I've never had dairy based products and that Dr's certificate meant I missed out on a lot of the puddings.  Memories.

GraciesGran

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 06:09 »
Chocolate sponge and custard was the  best followed by gypsy tart.

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 09:02 »
I loved my schools spam fritters  :nowink: I often got my homework done for me by eating those that really didn't like them.   Tried to make at home but it just didn't taste the same. Fortunately I had a medical certificate that exempted me from a lot of the (insert your own description here as I don't know how to describe it, I started school in 1965).  I've never had dairy based products and that Dr's certificate meant I missed out on a lot of the puddings.  Memories.

Ah yes, the dreaded spam fritters. I can't imagine why but I also absolutely loved them  :lol:
Spam fritters and steamed syrup sponge with custard, I was in school heaven :lol:
The school wasn't C.M was it whighty?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 10:09 »
Foe those hankering for a taste of childhood, we have just started selling spam fritters at work (the power of frozen shop  ;)).  They are proving popular, so you are not alone  :lol:

I can't say they were my favourite, but I do remember gypsy tart, which was basically different forms of sugar in a pastry case.  No wonder we all loved it  :D   We used to get colour themed custard as well - yellow with plain sponge pudding, pink with pink pudding and brown with chocolate.  They all tasted the same  :lol:  I think the pink sponge pudding was supposed to be strawberry or something similar, but it tasted the same as the yellow one.  The chocolate pud had cocoa powder in, so did stand out.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 10:16 »
I loved the sponge puddings with coloured custard - hated Tapioca pudding, or frogspawn as we used to call it Bleugh!

We also had what looked  like homemade fish fingers which was always served with sliced white cabbage in a vinegar dressing, and mash. I loved that dinner (still do but my 'fish in breadcrumbs' has improved, since those days  ::))

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 10:23 »
Oh I am not knocking the colour themed sponge puds.  They were big slabs of lovely fluffy sponge and custard in a puddle round them.  We eagerly stuffed them down  :lol:  I always refused to eat the frog spawn  :tongue2:  :lol:

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 12:03 »
My favourite (the only one I remember) was a flan (I think that's the technical term) with pears on top covered by a gelatinous opalescent semi rigid gloop.  With custard of course.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2020, 21:25 »
We had a pud covered in set pink gloop called Manchester Tart.  I can't remember what the rest of it was like, just the neon pink of it and that I was very confused as I came from Manchester and had never seen the like before   :wacko:

The gloop was just a bland custardy like flavour and the pink colour had no relevance.  I think our dinner ladies just like to colour puds.  It was a wonder we were not permanently bouncing off the walls  :lol:

mrs bouquet

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 15:31 »
Why did they all do that "frogspawn".    Nobody ever ate it - urgh !!!
I had an exemption from fish on fridays, I got sausages,   friends were always trying to swap - no way.
But Jacket/Baked Potatoes were my defo favourite, and I used to eat all the skins my friends left.  I still have Jackets about 4 times a week.  Puds with custard, lovely, the only star I ever got was for serving the custard  :lol:    That way my table got the biggest helping.     :blush:  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2020, 16:40 »
We had a pud covered in set pink gloop called Manchester Tart.  I can't remember what the rest of it was like, just the neon pink of it and that I was very confused as I came from Manchester and had never seen the like before   :wacko:
The 'Manchester tart' we got was sludge coloured custard (I suspect it had some treacle in it by the colour  :wacko: ) topped with desiccated coconut... really weird!
We occasionally had a jam roly-poly - still love suet puddings  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2020, 17:31 »
My favourite was chocolate concrete with chocolate custard. The concrete was like a thick shortbread but as you can guess,very hard. Always caused much hilarity when it ricocheyed (sp) out of someone’s dish across the dining hall
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

chrissie B

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2020, 16:22 »
I liked the sponge with sprinkles and icing which melted when the custard went o chrissie b

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 54 queries.