Where to plant Sprouts

• 3 Replies

TonyB.

• Experienced Member
Where to plant Sprouts
« on: February 14, 2020, 15:29 »
It is probably a silly question, but.

I use a 5 bed rotation system; Potatoes  / Peas & Beans / Brassicas / Carrots, Parsnips, Shallots & Garlic / Other stuff.

Needless to say the Sprouts prevented preparing all the bed from being prepared for this years crop. Given that the Shallots and Garlic will be lifted June(ish) depending on the weather; could I plant the Sprouts in that space. Then when they are lifted I could plant later growing Brassicas in their place? I do not suffer from club root on the plot. (should I say yet?)

As I said it is probably a silly question, just a mad idea I came up with.

Ivor Backache

Re: Where to plant Sprouts
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2020, 17:35 »
There's no such thing as a silly question.
I have planted them between rows of potatoes.  (usually early or 2nd earlies) There are naturally tall plants so should not get smothered by potato foliage. OR  grow them in pots until you have a space. I use a lot of supermarket 'cut flower' pots  to help me through June/July period when the allotment is full and there are still more plants to find room for. They are in the ground for such a long time, so think of growing them along the edges so they will not interfere with next years clear up/digging.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 12:24 »
Cut off the bottom from the cut flower pots and twist them down into a space between your potatoes. When the sprouts need potting-on, just fill the pots with compost, soil or whatever and plant then up to their first or second leaf then really firm them in well with your fists. The pots will save you tying their stems to a cane and should be a lot more stable.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 18:22 »
if I remember that's the old fashioned way of planting brussels sprout plants  between potato rows obviously this was to save space and by pulling the soil back to the brussels plants when lifting the potato crop was a good idea but  how come the brussels plants wasn't ravaged by pigeons or the dreaded caterpillars like these days we have to net everything or loose it  :unsure: probably more pigeon stews years ago  :D

I do like the idea of cut flower pots for brussels something on my wish list to try i think the nets have stopped the pigeons its just the slugs to take care of this season

xx
Supermarket living lettuce-plant or not 2 plant?

Started by violet61 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 20:29
by violet61
xx
Sprouts

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 06:41
by Benandbill
xx
sprouts

Started by johnchrissie17 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 18:16
by sunshineband
xx
sprouts

Started by plot29 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 14, 2010, 16:09
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 42 queries.