Buying second hand petrol garden goodies

• 9 Replies

Paulj

• Experienced Member
Buying second hand petrol garden goodies
« on: October 18, 2012, 21:14 »
I need to buy some tools that we have never required before.  Because of the size of the garden I think our simplest solution is to go with petrol equipment, but am not sure what I need to look out for in terms of ensuring I am buying something that will last a decent amount of time.  We need the following items:

- hedge trimmer
- Strimmer
- garden vac

Any advice much appreciated!

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
Re: Buying second hand petrol garden goodies
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 22:47 »

Hi if you go to the ideal world website ryobi do a multitool

Ryobi RBC430SES Multitool with Reel Easy Line Trimmer and Tri Arc Brush Cutter Blade
£249.99

Ryobi Petrol Line Trimmer with Hedgecutter, Pruner and Brushcutter Attachments
£249.99

I don't know if this is what you where thinking of ,or if the price is to much .

On the ideal channel(22 I think) they sometimes do offers, a while back they did the above
 but also gave a garden vac in as well for 199.99 pounds.
  It might be worth checking if you could still get this at the cheaper price

Hope it helps
 Cheers Carl 

Paulj

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 09:13 »
Are these all in one tools good?  I'd seen a couple on gumtree but Wasn't sure they would be worth it compared to dedicated tools.

Gwiz

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 09:41 »
They are good, but it depends on what make and how much you spend, how often you'll use it, and whether you can get it fixed for less than the price of a new one if it does pack up.
A lot of people like the Ryobi machine. I can't say too much about them, to be honest, as I don't see many.
I quite like the Mitox Multi tools in the bargain price range, but If I was wanting to keep the machine for any length of time, I'd buy the Stihl range as it's just built better than anything else on the market, but you do have to PAY for that quality.

smud6ie

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 17:49 »
Your title says buying second hand garden tools,  something to take into consideration,how often do you see members asking for help with stihl equipment?
My Son uses them and Kawasaki professionally and as yet has failed to kill one. :)

smud6ie

Flatcat

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 18:28 »
After owning Stihl equipment I would never settle for anything less
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 18:29 by Flatcat »

allot2learn

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 14:08 »
I've just got a qualcast electric hedge trimmer off flea bay for £10.50 and it's a good-un.  :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 14:10 by allot2learn »

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 14:16 »
We got a pre-loved Ryobi strimmer (Expand-It) from eBay a few years ago and its a great little machine.  I am guessing the same as the one already mentioned, but we've never obtained any of the alternative attachments. OH got it for a very good price as he won't pay over the odds.  :nowink: It replaced a big, noisy old Stihl which was bigger than necessary at this property.

We recently sold a petrol hedge trimmer on eBay, for a good price. :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

fatcat1955

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 19:40 »
I have the Ryobi 30cc electric start trimmer. It is part of the expand it range, i have also purchased the rotovator, chaisaw and hedgetrimmer attachments. All were bought secondhand on ebay . They do exactly what they say on the box but don't compare them to professional make's. They are intended for amateur use around the garden/allotment.

bainsk8

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 09:29 »
I placed an add in the local news agents window asking for broken garden tools, "wanted for my own use".

I was given a petrol lawn mower, (Briggs and Stratton) that needed a bit of welding to the deck, and a new pull cord. Both of which I repaired myself, so far I have had two good years use from that and its still running good. I have just bought a new carburettor diaphragm, petrol bulb and air filter for it, which I will replace as part of an end of season maintenance.

I was also given a petrol strimmer, (JCB used once before being dropped) that also needed a small repair, which I fixed.

The rest I paid for, hoe, fork, axe, 2 x rakes, spade and shovel = £16.00 + 6 miles petrol to collect them and a couple of new wooden handles.

I prefer to reuse and fix things than buy new, not only because of the savings and the new lease of life they will get but also in most of the cases the quality of older items surpasses the cheap Chinese stuff that's churned out by today standards. Obviously there are a couple of exceptions to this but then to buy these quality items new is big bucks!

All in all I would say its something worth considering to do.
If at first you don't succeed, try a different method.

xx
Advice on buying second hand polytunnel

Started by ConfusedGardener on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 19:38
by ConfusedGardener
question
2nd Hand Greenhouse Buying Advice

Started by Daamoot on Equipment Shed

24 Replies
Last post March 20, 2013, 11:24
by JayG
xx
Worth buying a cheap 2nd hand greenhouse or polytunnel??

Started by infowarrior on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2007, 22:24
by muntjac
xx
petrol garden shredder

Started by hiccup on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post December 28, 2017, 20:51
by jezza

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 34 queries.