Great British Bird Watch 2024

• 8 Replies

Ali T

Great British Bird Watch 2024
« on: January 26, 2024, 14:42 »
Anyone else going to take part in the GBBW this weekend? I'm hoping for waxwings and parakeets but will settle for the usual sparrow/wood pigeon combo!!!

mrs bouquet

Re: Great British Bird Watch 2024
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 15:16 »
I am always trying to spot the birds, but only get sparrows and wood pigeons.   A new neighbour with 3 cats isn't helping the situation.   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

wighty

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 17:03 »
I'll contribute seagulls, as living on the top of the cliff above Sandown  Bay we don't get much else.  There is an occasional  Robin but not much else.  Our most exciting bird watch is the drive to work along the Military Road where we see Buzzards, sea gulls (of course) and  a variety of black birds.  We sometimes see a Heron or two.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 17:57 »
Never get much here no matter what feeds I put out for them, in fact I throw most of the food away as they just don’t come for it 😢. No cats here. The odd Robin & blackbird but if there’s food out pigeons just gorge on it.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

perris

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2024, 09:22 »
I'm surprised by the paucity people are reporting. Depending on my luck at the chosen hour, I'm expecting to see tits, starlings, blackbirds, thrushes, robins, finches, wrens, crows, magpie, tree sparrows, a pheasant, and possibly a woodpecker.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2024, 14:48 »
I'm surprised by the paucity people are reporting. Depending on my luck at the chosen hour, I'm expecting to see tits, starlings, blackbirds, thrushes, robins, finches, wrens, crows, magpie, tree sparrows, a pheasant, and possibly a woodpecker.

I don’t see crows or pheasants, but I get all the above as well, plus we have collared doves, wood pigeons, jackdaws, a jay that pops by sometimes and red kites circling overhead, although they only come down close when I am at the plot.  They swoop low over your head checking what you are up to  :lol:  The woodpeckers I sometimes see are the Greater Spotted ones. 

It is fairly urban here, but I feed sunflower kernels, peanuts or fat balls depending on the season and niger seeds.  It is all in feeders on a stand.  I only chuck stuff down on the ground if the blackbirds or robins mug me for it when I go out, or if the weather is really severe and I feel sorry for the scroungers like the woodies  :)

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2024, 20:40 »
Afraid I didn’t participate but I did see several red kites a robin and a heron on Friday.
Suppose the pigeons and ducks count too. Looks like there is some bird life round here at least.
Keep digging

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2024, 10:53 »

I don’t see crows or pheasants, but I get all the above as well, plus we have collared doves, wood pigeons, jackdaws, a jay that pops by sometimes and red kites circling overhead, although they only come down close when I am at the plot.  They swoop low over your head checking what you are up to  :lol:  The woodpeckers I sometimes see are the Greater Spotted ones. 

It is fairly urban here, but I feed sunflower kernels, peanuts or fat balls depending on the season and niger seeds.  It is all in feeders on a stand.  I only chuck stuff down on the ground if the blackbirds or robins mug me for it when I go out, or if the weather is really severe and I feel sorry for the scroungers like the woodies  :)

That’s made me think, I do get Magpies and we sometimes get a sparrow hawk patrolling which is probably why we get less than I’d like. We also get red kites whirling overhead in the summer months, I usually hear them before I see them.
This week I’m going to clean out the feeders (again) & refill in the hope of a better population  ;)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2024, 16:54 »
Chatting to daughter next door, and she has no birds now either.  We think it is because of the 3 cats, that have moved in close by.   The hedge used to be full of sparrows in their garden, which backs onto mine, but the cats climb the hedge.    Oh bother the cats.   I have bought some cat spikes but need somebody to fix them now.   I have also bought a box of fat balls and a holder,  hopefully the birds will recognise it.  Mrs B

xx
Bird watch

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

146 Replies
Last post April 21, 2024, 21:51
by Subversive_plot
xx
British Gas

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post December 10, 2023, 08:44
by Goosegirl
xx
British Summer Time 2020

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post December 22, 2019, 20:19
by Christine
clip
British summertime ends tonight

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post October 24, 2020, 11:22
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 48 queries.