Buff Orp with runny poo

• 4 Replies

gracie

• Experienced Member
Buff Orp with runny poo
« on: September 19, 2012, 07:48 »
I noticed quite a few of her poos were runny ( in fact she has done a few beside me and they sound mega squirty and spread over quite a distance) this has been for a few weeks but as she was having quite a heavy moult I was putting it down to the changes in her body.
Incredibly within a week her feathers have bloomed and a bare neck is bouncing along nicely now. She has become quite friendly again now rather than running when we go near. She has just laid her first egg again after moulting bit smaller than her usual but a good strong one.
The poo is most noticeable in the coop as I have to wait for it to set then I can poo pick ( glamorous side of the hobby).
We were only just saying how well she looks so definitely no sign of being off colour. Her diet hasnt changed. Any thoughts would be welcome, can it just be one of those things, I can't guarantee if she is doing any more solid poos or not, she free ranges most of the day

helens-hens

Re: Buff Orp with runny poo
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 13:11 »
Hi there. Runny poos can be down to several things, including worms - have your hens been wormed recently and if so with a chemical wormer like Flubenvet?
Helen

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 17:54 »
No they haven't I have checked and can't see any worms but guess some may not be visible, the others aren't runny but guess it won't hurt to worm them. Am I best to get a sack of treated pellets I only have 4 girls or is there an easier one dose option

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 20:23 »
You can buy the flubenvet online in powder form and then add it to their layers pellets.  Given for 7 days and no treats or freeranging so they get the right dose.  The other option is to put a daily dose on half a grape for each hen.  It is a tiny amount so harder to work out the dosage.

You can get smaller bags of the pellets with flubenvet which work out more expensive than a large sack but you should have no waste.  They have an expiry date so can't be kept for next time.  I bought a large sack last time and passed on what wasn't used to a friend who keeps hens.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 21:08 »
Think I will try the daily dose method they love being cuddled so easy to hand feed. They would shout the neighbourhood down if they couldn't free range.

Thanks for all your advice

xx
Poorly Buff. Help please

Started by milothepeanut on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 01, 2008, 21:44
by Aunt Sally
xx
Buff Orpingtons

Started by Susan on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 24, 2008, 23:30
by Fifitrix
xx
Lincolnshire Buff

Started by D on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 17, 2010, 19:16
by bantam novice
xx
buff orpingtons

Started by pushrod on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 14, 2007, 21:28
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 33 queries.