Shut eye

• 10 Replies

hoptonboy

Shut eye
« on: September 15, 2012, 19:26 »
One of my hens has developed a sore eye, and she closes it nearly all the time. It looks a little bit sore. Has anyone else ever encountered this, and is there anything I can do to help her out, or will it get better naturally?

Novice in all things on this forum!!

symonep

• Experienced Member
Re: Shut eye
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 20:52 »
I would have thought that unless it is due to a scratch it wouldn't get better by itself. I it is an infection you will need something to treat it.

Is it ozing or sticky or anything obvious that you can see?
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

hoptonboy

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 00:03 »
HI,

No it isn't oozy or sticky or snotty. She just keeps closing it up and it looks a little watery and reddish compared to the other one. I'm guessing it is scratched, just wondered if this is a frequent occurance with chickens as I am new to keeping them?

Is there anything I could do to sooth/clean it?

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 08:48 »
A mild solution of salt water wouldn't hurt. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 11:00 »
Was just going to say the same as sassy, I have had chickens for a few years now and never had one with a sore eye but they do tend to stick their heads in places they shouldn't and end up with scratches!

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 20:37 »
I've treated sore eyes like this successfully with a few drops of Optrex a couple of times a day. It helps if you have someone to hold her while you put the drops in.

Orchardlady.

Brood of Bournemouth

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 22:36 »
I guess if the salt solution is very weak then it would be okay, and only if it was made using boiled water and then left to cool. If it was me then I would test it on myself first to see if it stings real bad, or feels okay to make sure the mix is right.

I have been recommended strong black tea made with boiling water and left until its cold, which can then be used to flush out the eye.
For application, its worth keeping a couple of syringes (Pets at home stock them) in your hens first aid box, which can be cleaned for re-use.

In the past I once purchased "Golden eye" eye drops over the counter under the pretence that I had an eye infection coming on. £4.80 well spent as they worked really well (applied morning and night) on my 8 week old chick that had her eye almost closed with inflammation. However they are not cleared for use on livestock so its a case of use at your own risk.

Hope this may be of use.

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 08:21 »
I use salt water successfully on horses with conjunctivitis I'm not saying it doesn't sting. My father is a retired optician andd would recommend this course of action. :)

Brood of Bournemouth

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 20:11 »
I don't doubt that its not a good treatment, I just think its important get the correct mix so as to avoid causing unnecessary pain.

After a little web based research, I found that 1 cup of cooled boiled water requires 1 teaspoon of salt.

How is her eye, what treatment have you gone for?

hoptonboy

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 22:25 »
Hi,

Her eye totally cleared up the following day, no doubt a scratch or a bit of muck from whilst she was scratting. However, plenty of good advice received!!

Casey76

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 13:51 »
You should be able to buy vials of sterile saline solution in the baby or medicine section of a supermarket of chemist.  I think I paid around 2.50€ for 50 20ml vials so they're not expensive :)

Anything which is going in eyes should be sterile.

xx
one eye shut-infection?

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 21, 2009, 14:50
by colliebird
sad
Eye welded shut following pox

Started by Devotedtochicks on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 05, 2012, 09:26
by ANHBUC
xx
Why shut your hens in at night?

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 09, 2016, 10:22
by Willow_Warren
xx
Gastro Intestinal shut down?

Started by pink-chicken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 17, 2009, 17:26
by pink-chicken

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 36 queries.