Egg laying problem

• 3 Replies

felicity45

Egg laying problem
« on: September 17, 2012, 20:34 »
I recently got a POL Bluebell chicken.  She started laying 2 weeks ago and by last week was laying an egg a day.  Two days ago she was just standing in the run with her tail and head down but earlier had seemed perfectly OK.  About half an hour later she was right as rain but I found a soft shell egg in the run.  The same thing happened again today (I actually saw her laying this time) but on both occasions she had already laid an egg in the morning.  Any advice please.  They are fed mixed corn and layers mash and have grass that I pull up for them and occasionally some brown bread.

jhub

• jane
Re: Egg laying problem
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 20:57 »
It can take a little while to settle into egg production but laying soft shell eggs takes it out of the hen- it is difficult to push out a shell less egg.
When you say she's fed on a mix of corn and layers- do you give the corn in the evening as a scratch feed? It should only be given as a treat later in the day and only a small handful per hen.
Has she got a supply of oyster shell to replenish calcium stores?
You don't mention other birds, is she your only hen as they are sociable animals and do better with other flock members?

grinling

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 21:07 »
try not to give pulled up grass as it can lead to crop problems.

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 13:47 »
The layers mash shhould be their primary food.  Mixed corn should be liited to about 1tablespoon per hen on an evening.

Please don't feed pulled up grass or unsoaked bread.  Both can cause crop impactions.

Do you have any other chickens?  They aren't really solitary birds, and should have at lest one firend, preferably two.

Laying soft eggs is very common in pullets during their first few weeks of laying; their internal machinery normally settles within a few weeks.

xx
egg laying problem

Started by angiej on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 12:15
by rachelr
xx
Laying problem

Started by Nicki85 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 04, 2011, 11:38
by themagicaltoad1
clip
Problem hen laying an egg

Started by Tom Parrot on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post April 13, 2017, 10:06
by Tom Parrot
xx
Gerty's got a laying problem

Started by Aunt Sally on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 22, 2007, 13:58
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 36 queries.