Hen's roosting outside in run rather than inside coop???

• 13 Replies

4chooks

• My Black Rock
    • Raw Green Cottages
Hi as title says really......
I have 4 hens.... 2 Black rock's which i got a week ago @ P.O.L and i have 2 warren's which are approx 8 months old... The warren's will roost inside hut like they've always done but the 2 Black Rock's won't & roost outside on the perches inside there run??? Any idea's anyone. I'M STUMPED!!! as to why?
X2 Black Rock's
                         = 4 FRESH EGGS EVERYDAY!!!
X2 Warren's

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
Re: Hen's roosting outside in run rather than inside coop???
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 20:55 »
They need to be taught where their bed is.  When they settle down to roost in the evening, pick them up and put them inside.  It might take a few days but they'll get the hang of it eventually!
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 20:58 »
check for red mites in the coop. When it is dark go out there with a torch and some white paper. Then slide the paper in between any gaps in the timber to see if it comes out with any red on it.
Staffies are softer than you think.

4chooks

• My Black Rock
    • Raw Green Cottages
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 21:01 »
They need to be taught where their bed is.  When they settle down to roost in the evening, pick them up and put them inside.  It might take a few days but they'll get the hang of it eventually!

That's what I have been doing.. They've only done it 2 days out of the week so i don't know if there trying to get used to things or just prefer being outside, lol
Other 2 as i said perch inside no probs

4chooks

• My Black Rock
    • Raw Green Cottages
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 21:05 »
check for red mites in the coop. When it is dark go out there with a torch and some white paper. Then slide the paper in between any gaps in the timber to see if it comes out with any red on it.

Can't see any mite, As had to go out with torch to put them from outside into inside of coop with the other 2... I will check that thou but was going to treat at weekend just incase... Earlier on in year i did see what was (black mite) on my hand when i was doing a bit of work on the coop but not seen anything since then!!! But if was mite wouldn't it bother the other 2 that sleep/perch inside the coop religiously???
What you think???

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 21:11 »
The perches in the run are they higher than the ones in the coop ?  ;)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 21:17 »
red mites are grey until they feed, the red is the chickens blood. Yes they will attack the others, but some hens will just let them - it is these hens that will end up becoming very weak and have been known to die from this  :(.
Empty all the bedding out of your coop and burn it (do not put it in the compost bin - red mites can live for months without feeding. Do not wash out the coop where it stands as you will just wash out mites and they will crawl back in. Then spray the whole of the coop with poultry shield - inside and out. If you have roofing felt on your coop remove it and burn - this is a haven for red mites.
When the coop is dry the make a slurry of diatom, a splash of fairy liquid and either water or a safe disinfectant diluted to the correct strength - I use vanodine V18. Paint this inside your coop.
You may have to repeat this every week or so until you are sure you have no mites.

Casey76

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 21:22 »
Unfortunately sometimes it takes longer than a week for newbies to learn where "bed" is, especially if there are established chooks already in residence.

Personally I would persist in picking them up and putting them away every night a little while longer.

If the new hens were raised in a barn, they might not know to go some place different to sleep rather than on the nearest perch.

I think it too my chicks last year about three weeks before they all started going to bed on thier own consistently!

4chooks

• My Black Rock
    • Raw Green Cottages
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 21:32 »
I would say the perches are higher in the coop than outside the coop.

I have picked them up and put them inside for last 2 nites now. It's only the 2 new Black Rock's - My 2 warren's are going inside like normal as they always have done.

I am going to give the coop a treat this weekend just incase there are mites, Just to cover all bases... Joyful and thanks for the cleaning advice! ' a bit methodical lol '

Then if the persist in sleeping outside then I will keep chucking them back inside or just leave them I think if ther happy to do so.

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 21:37 »
when you get red-mite then you will find that is how you have to be until the little blighters have gone. I now have plastic arks as these are easier to cope with red-mites - a quick blast with an industrial steam cleaner (not one of those little household ones) and bobs your uncle sorted  :)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 21:41 »
I would say the perches are higher in the coop than outside the coop.

Well worth checking out just in case,  sounds like their being obstinate tho'  lol

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 08:12 »

Earlier on in year i did see what was (black mite) on my hand when i was doing a bit of work on the coop but not seen anything since then!!!

What time of year was it when you saw these black mite? If it was July to August/September they could have been thrips which harvesting sends up from the crops in black clouds. They are harmless but just get everywhere.  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Beano

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 08:52 »
Could it be that the warrens are bullying the two new black rocks and that they are afraid to go in?
This has happened to me when I have introduced new chickens to an established group.
If this is the case, it is just a matter of time and persistence on your part and theirs.
El.

4chooks

• My Black Rock
    • Raw Green Cottages
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 18:19 »
Could it be that the warrens are bullying the two new black rocks and that they are afraid to go in?
This has happened to me when I have introduced new chickens to an established group.
If this is the case, it is just a matter of time and persistence on your part and theirs.

No they all get on fine with minimal squabling... and day (3) in a row and there back outside!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 18:22 by 4chooks »

xx
Inside the coop

Started by HattonHill on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 15:47
by Blarney
xx
Food outside or inside the coop?

Started by Flyin Chickens on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 12, 2008, 20:58
by karlooben
xx
Mould on inside of coop.

Started by infowarrior on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 19, 2012, 18:10
by ehs284
xx
Feeding inside the coop

Started by Chippet on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 31, 2012, 12:03
by nerdle

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 40 queries.