Do your chickens live outside but not shut up?

• 15 Replies

rosie14

Do your chickens live outside but not shut up?
« on: January 05, 2012, 20:26 »
Hi all just wondering if any of you have your hens live outside but not shut up at night in a coop at all? :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Do your chickens live outside but not shut up?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 20:32 »
I have several that roost in trees and are very healthy however catching them to cull (the cockerels) is very difficult. Also it is impossible to treat for mites or any other illnesses. They do roost over 20 feet up and are on very spindly branches so should a mink, badger of fox etc., come along they are still safe. Really I would prefer them all locked up in a coop at night.
Staffies are softer than you think.

lazydog

• Experienced Member
    • The alternative to burning tobacco
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 00:53 »
I used to have a couple of bantams that lived in the next door neighbours tree by the house
luckily she was hard of hearing,sadley when she passed the new family where not so friendly and i had to fence them in 
If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of food

Thrift

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 07:23 »
Ours were all safely locked up (we thought) until the mink got in with them  :( Then I wished they had been loose with unclipped wings. Generally though, I would prefer them locked in a secure place.

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 16:27 »
Ours are locked up but I know some which spend the night in mysterious locations such as trees and hedges, only reappearing at some point the next day for food.

We're always told that we must provide shelter for the hens and to ensure there aren't any drafts - just wonder if it's really such a big deal if some do stay out?

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 16:53 »
Last year through all the snow I still had some tree roosting - one spent the nights in a cherry tree without any leaf cover at all. Every morning he had frost on his outer feathers but was very healthy.
The problem with drafts and coops is that any coop gaps will concentrate the draft into just one small area which can cause problems.

Abacus

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 20:53 »
Mine tend top roost in the hen run during the summer when its warm ( I have roost bars quite high up so they can catch a few UV rays late in the day) but now winter is here they all tend to go into hen house. The smell when I open the door in the morning to let them out is somewhat reminiscent of a rugby teams changing room after a match...
TTFN Jim
House Husband (Certified)
! Barnvelder Cockerel
1 Welsummer
1 Welsummer mix
1 Salmon Favorella
4 Rhodie Hybrids

kegs

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 12:10 »
The smell when I open the door in the morning to let them out is somewhat reminiscent of a rugby teams changing room after a match...

I'll be letting my girls out bleary eyed tomorrow morning with a whole new set of images in my mind!!!  ::) ::)   :D

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 17:57 »
Do you think I'd be OK leaving mine in their secure enclosure on the odd occasion when I'm away overnight? It's reasonably (!) fox proof with sides and roof of 1" x 1/2" weldmesh, with a 12" weldmesh skirt all the way around, held down with tent pegs. The girls put themselves to bed at night but of course if I was away their pophole would be open and possibly drafty. Would one night be Ok do you think? It's so difficult finding someone to look after them of a night. Thanks BG

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 18:33 »
Mine are in a coop with attached run which is in a large enclosure.  I shut them in the coop and run on a night but do not close the pop hole so they can get up and eat and drink as soon as they are ready on a morning.  Then I open the run door for them to have access to the enclosure at 8 am.  They have been fine with the pop hole open and the air vent also open even with all the recent gale force winds.  So I think it would be a matter of security against the fox rather than the draft.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 22:24 »
Do you think I'd be OK leaving mine in their secure enclosure on the odd occasion when I'm away overnight? It's reasonably (!) fox proof with sides and roof of 1" x 1/2" weldmesh, with a 12" weldmesh skirt all the way around, held down with tent pegs. The girls put themselves to bed at night but of course if I was away their pophole would be open and possibly drafty. Would one night be Ok do you think? It's so difficult finding someone to look after them of a night. Thanks BG
reasonably fox proof isn't the same as fox proof. When I had chickens I read this
 "A fox just has to get lucky once you have to be lucky all the time"
You say your 12"skirt is held with tent pegs I was under the impression it needed to be buried & facing outwards so that if a fox tries to dig under it is met with the mesh & can't get under
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 08:37 »
The mesh problem can be soved by getting a piece large enough to go under the whole house/small run with a skirt proud to the outside. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 10:21 »

Thanks for your help guys - and sorry Rosie14 that I hijacked your thread!!

Spana

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 10:50 »
I have about a dozen hens and cockerels and two guinea fowl who out-roost, the other 60+  are  shut up every night. I've never had the out roosters attacked at night, the problem comes early morning.  They are all up and about very early, long before we are, and thats when you get visits from the fox.
MY out- roosters have come from broodies who have laid away and walked out from the barns with a clutch of chicks.  These chicks reared outside with their mum for protection are usually strong and streetwise and dont want to be housed when they grow up, but as said above its a pain, but not impossible, when you need to cull cockerels. :)

joyfull

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 10:56 »
Have managed now to catch and cull all but one of mine - greed is their downfall  :lol:
Just got to catch the last blighter and then no more hedgerow chicks hatching for me  :D

sad
Poland chickens suffering from swollen shut eyes.

Started by Fransoire on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 07:55
by too many girls
xx
How long do chickens live?

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 08, 2009, 19:42
by Snowy Howells
xx
how long do chickens live for

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 17:18
by urban-chickens
xx
how long do chickens live

Started by gailtearle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 22:46
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 35 queries.