lice

• 10 Replies

NUMBER27

lice
« on: November 23, 2011, 17:15 »
Hi, does anyone have any advise on how to get rid of lice on chickens. Have 3 girls but only one appears to be infested, I check them daily. Have tried the recommended powder but not having any effect although continuing to dust hen house. Am I just unlucky with my girls, first worms then feathers falling out now lice, or am I doing something wrong? Thank you.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Re: lice
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 17:45 »
I use frontline spay for cats and kittens. You can buy it fron the vets and it will last a very ling time. It does the job as I've been lucky enough not to see lice so far. Well worth trying.  :)

kegs

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 18:35 »
Frontline (kitten or cat strength) is so easy to use on the chickens especially if you wait until they are in their coop sleeping.  It's available from several different web sites too at various prices so shop around. Here's the link on lice which will give you lots of useful information. 

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=5250.0

You're not doing anything wrong at all, it's just a huge learning curve and once you get the hang of what to do to prevent your chickens getting worms and lice you'll wonder why you were so worried.

Chrysalis

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 19:39 »
Frontline!!!  So easy if yuo use the spray one on the back of the neck under the feathers! ALso no need to withdraw eggs, so win win! :)

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 22:04 »
Or the little capsules of Frontline liquid, again cat or kitten strength, just 1 or 2 drops per chicken on the back of their neck does it. Easiest way is when they have gone to roost at night, then they are really sleepy and easy to pick up and administer.

NUMBER27

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 15:27 »
Thanks for all the advise, frontline it is!!

nic n dave

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 21:10 »
do u use frontline to prevent lice or are u only using it when u find an infestation on them?

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 07:48 »
Only if we see lice on them. It's not like worms where they need to be treated regularly. In the 4 or so years we have kept chickens we have only seen lice on them twice, and the frontline gets rid of them within a few days.

wendyg

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 09:14 »
How easy is it to see lice?  I have 5 hens all with bare bums, but only managed to catch one to have a look, but could not see any obvious signs of lice.  Do you need to look very closely?  The hen we caught wasn't very keen on being held, so I couldn't look that closely.

Sorry to hijack thread.
1 Chicken House Blue, 1 Pied Suffolk, 1 Sussex, 1 Copper Black, 1 Cocker Spaniel, 1 border terrier x min. bull terrier, 1 Cat and an allotment.

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 09:17 »
The easiest way is to pick them up and look under their wings, and lift a few feathers up, examining the base of the feathers. You will see either the actual lice crawling, or clusters of eggs attached to the base of the feathers.

I think there are pictures on here somewhere. Search 'lice' on this site and I'm sure someone put pictures.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 09:28 »
Here you go:-
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=5250.0

If you take a few minutes to read through the poultry FAQ section (above the hen house bit) you will find loads of useful things  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
LICE!!!!!

Started by Brad26 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 13:41
by susan - happy hens
xx
LICE!!!!!

Started by parson on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 13:06
by Vember
xx
Lice?

Started by Kym503 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 07, 2010, 23:27
by westview
xx
lice

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 23, 2011, 20:04
by freebirdy

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 40 queries.