Dirty vent, lethargoc, sitting back and weak(ish)

• 6 Replies

old chook

Dirty vent, lethargoc, sitting back and weak(ish)
« on: September 03, 2011, 18:58 »
Marjory, Light Sussex, about two years old - has always been a wheezy bird but a good layer and a lively girl. Today I noticed she seemed lethargic and was last out of the hen house this morning.  Checked her over and noticed her vet area was really grubby, so gave her a bit of a wash and a quick spray of iodine (as it looked like she has been pecked in the past).  Her comb is bright, she's eating and drinking but now seems to have difficulty walking and is sitting back.  The other girls are fine.

Any suggestions what might be wrong?

old chook

Just been to have a look at her - she's sitting back, looking very unhappy. Checked her rear end again in case she was egg bound and squeezed around her rear end gently - but couldn't feel anything hard or like broken shell.  Her crop is also fine. She feels very thin and bony but not excessively so - Im at a loss and not sure what to do next

Thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Dirty vent, lethargoc, sitting back and weak(ish)
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 19:43 »
when did she last lay an egg?
Staffies are softer than you think.

old chook

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 19:56 »
Hi

One or two days - Iv'e got four girls so it's difficult to be exact.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 20:12 »
She may have an egg stuck inside her in which case her muscles will need relaxing - pop her in a sink of warm water for 30 - 40 mins (keep the water warm), this should relax her muscles to pass an egg - then towel dry her off and finally blow dry her with a hair dryer on a warm setting.
She could have had an egg break inside in which case she will need a trip to the vets for some antibiotics. If an egg has broken the vet may need to remove any remainder from inside her or.........
She may be getting ready to lay a soft shelled egg - these do make them miserable but once they have passed the egg they generally perk up after a day or so.

old chook

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 20:17 »
Thanks for that - I was wondering if it could be an egg issue - if its inside I presume I wont be able to feel anything? anyway she has settled down on her perch for the night with the others, so Ill asses her in the morning and try the warm water thing - Ill also see if I can get some anti-biotics from our local farmer

They are SUCH a worry......

jill247

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 17:47 »
I have just had the same problem with my white leghorn hen could see she was uncomfortable so took the advise of putting her in warm water and it worked she layed a soft egg. It took he about 20 mins to recover from it and she is running about happy now. It does worry you when i bathed her she layed on my knee and was going to sleep then she got up and layed bless her. Thanks for advise on this forum I would be lost without it. Hope your chook is fine too.

xx
Dirty Vent

Started by peachesandclive on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 14:05
by Bodger
xx
dirty vent and floppy comb!!

Started by Nat100 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 10, 2010, 09:05
by Nat100
xx
poorly chickens? dirty vent

Started by Mr. Clucky on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 22:03
by mumofstig
xx
weak cockerel

Started by ollies mom on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 18, 2008, 09:16
by Bodger

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 36 queries.