Poo picking.

• 9 Replies

zoeadh

Poo picking.
« on: December 09, 2010, 16:13 »
I have been given some advice about what to put down inside our electric fence to try to keep the area clean and hygenic. Where there was grass 3 months ago, there is just mud now. Hardwood chips, hempcore and paving slabs have all be suggested. How deep should the chips or hempcore be? I know this is going to sound stupid but how do you poo pick in wood chips? At the moment I attempt this task weekly but it gets awefully mucky and trod in.

helens-hens

Re: Poo picking.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 16:58 »
Stuff like hemcore, easibed etc are in my opinion easier to poo pick than wood chips. They are a bit like short, fine straw and are pale in colour (so the poo stands out) and they are absorbant. I use paving slabs under the bedding so it doesn't get trodden into the earth below but I guess if you put a thick enough layer this shouldn't be a problem.
Helen

zoeadh

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 17:31 »
And it's ok to use outside, uncovered?

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 18:09 »
I wouldn't use it in an uncovered area as it is very absorbent and will act like a sponge I would think.  You could try leaves and some weathered wood chips and then if possible, maybe cover a small area if it is too difficult to cover the whole thing.  I use Hemcore in my coop and poo pick that which as Helens-Hens said is easy because the poo sticks to it and I can then just lift the dirty bits.  But for a full run which isn't covered I think it might just absorb all the rain/ snow and end up a mess.  :unsure: Good luck

jinty1911

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 18:51 »
Our chicks free range in garden all day.  It's mainly slabs and I  go out every day after work an poo pick but after all the snow and ice we've had couldnt do much in the last 2 weeks.  It has thawed today and OMG what a mess!!!  ??? I had to go out shopping and by he time I got back hubby had cleaned it all up.  Bless  :happy:  :happy: WOW can it pile up.
Jinty

daisy1990

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 18:57 »
I would agree Hemcore wont be useful for uncovered area (it also rots down quickly, which is an advantage if composting but not in the situation you describe)  Our local riding stables have what looks like recycled rubber in their outdoor area and horse muck easily washes through/ picks up- I wonder if that might be suitable but no idea if you can buy small amounts
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

kfoxey

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 13:33 »
yes i also have the lovely prob with the poo. i try and do it every day but some people say its doesnt need it, surely if we dont then diseases will occur? a few peop have suggested hard wood chips that you can spray down when soiled, but i am concerned bacteria and all sorts will be left behind> any suggestions? 8)

TeaPots

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 14:02 »
I sprinkle with Stalosan - F  once a week to avoid bacteria problems, especially around the feeder and waterers. I swear by the stuff  :D

kfoxey

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 14:27 »
eggcellent tea pots, so do i still need to poo pick? i have just this week invested in stalosan as everyone raves about it

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 09:36 »
In my out door run I have pea shingle, I pick the hard poo off daily and once a week I just hose it down the poo washes to the bottom and when it rains it does it for you  :happy: Pol
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

xx
Poo picking

Started by jhub on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post December 31, 2011, 10:12
by Sassy
xx
Poo picking

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 20:44
by janeheritage
xx
poo picking

Started by Lewjam on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 11:24
by Squiggly
xx
Help please, they are picking on the new girl

Started by Beano on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 14:54
by Fifitrix

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 33 queries.