Sick Chicken ???

• 3 Replies

mansekat

Sick Chicken ???
« on: May 18, 2010, 20:50 »
Hi
Im a newbie..I got my first flock of five girls today only had them home a few hours  ::) When I picked them up they all seemed fine checked everything the books advised me too it all looked good. Since getting them home I have been regularly checking on them and just noticed the ISA Brown has got clear nasal bubbles it’s not a discharge as such and doesn’t smell it’s been eating and drinking well. I feel like a neurotic first time parent  :unsure: just wanted some advice on whether or not I should be worried and what I should be doing.  

hillfooter

Re: Sick Chicken ???
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 03:14 »
First be sure this is not just due to her having just drunk.  If this is due to a nasal discharge you are right to be concerned and unfortunately this is all too common a story.  Moving birds is stressful for them and this can cause latent infections to break out.

Mycoplasmosis is one such and is known as stress disease.  It attacks their upper respiratory system producing the sort of 'cold' symptoms you describe.  The risk is that the mucus lining of the respiratory tract is damaged which allows other infections to gain entry to the bird and which can be far more serious.  

The best option would be to contact the supplier immediately as most will give some sort of guarentee of health.  You will obviously compromise this if you start to treat it.  (For the benefit of any other newcomer reading this, you should always ask this question along with others aimed at finding out how they ensure healthy stock.  If they don't give satisfactory responses walk away there's plenty who will.  Remember you should be able to have a completely no stress purchase not immediately have a problem).  Your other options are isolate it and keep it under observation and hope it clears up without complication or give it some antibiotics as soon as possible to control it before other infections can occur.  If you get an antibiotic I'd treat the lot by adding it to their water.

To get antibiotics you will have to see a vet.  Tylan or Baytril are the usual antibiotics which are quickly effective.  You can always contact your supplier and tell them what has happened and either change the bird or they may have a/bs to treat her.  If it's not complicated with other infections all well and good but generally birds which do this carry the bacteria and further outbreaks may recur under the stress of starting to lay or moulting, or heat stress.  If you keep the bird that's a risk you take.

Best of luck
HF
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 03:17 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

mansekat

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 19:35 »
Hi
Thanks very much for the advice the supplier replaced the ISA Brown and the vet gave me a course of antibiotics she adviced prophylactic use just to be safe. 
Hopefully I can noe get on with enjoying the girls   :D
Thanks again  ::)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 20:49 »
Good luck with it mansekat.  Your swift action was spot on !

This forum does insist on photos by the way  :D

The "Chicken Chat" forum is very popular.   :D

xx
sick chicken

Started by herbie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 23, 2008, 18:52
by Foxy
xx
My sick chicken

Started by nialler91 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 16:02
by Aunt Sally
xx
Sick chicken...?

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 11, 2008, 10:47
by compostqueen
xx
sick chicken D:

Started by organicbeanful on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post December 03, 2011, 23:21
by Aylesbury

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 34 queries.