Help please

• 5 Replies

zoggett

Help please
« on: April 01, 2010, 20:49 »
about 3 weeks ago I got my 2 girls Madge and Mavis, Madge laid an egg 5 out of 7 days but Mavis never laid at all then last week I got another hen Myrtle and since then I have had only 1 egg from them all week.  Today i noticed they have Scaley leg and so I have blathered their legs in vaseline, is there anything else I can do? And could the lack of eggs be anything to do with their legs?
Thanks

Debbie

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Help please
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 21:10 »
if using vaseline coat their legs twice a day to smoother the scaly leg mites - they will still have raised scales after the mites are dead but this should rectify when they have a full moult.
How old are your girls? Some do not lay eggs until they are around 30 weeks old. Do they squat when you go near and are their combs getting redder?
Staffies are softer than you think.

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 03:10 »
Scaly Leg Mite can be treated by washing and brushing the legs with a toothbrush in warm soapy water to dislodge the crusts.  Do not pull away the scales or crusts as this can damage the skin and cause bleeding.  Then apply, with a small paint brush, Benzyl Benzoate available from animal pharmacists on the web (or possibly your local chemist).  Repeat this 4 times at weekly intervals.  Thoroughly clean the house as for red mite. 
This mite if unchecked will slowly migrate from one bird to another.  Some similarly to Joy suggest controlling an outbreak by once a month smearing the legs and perches with Vaseline, liquid paraffin or a mixture of one part paraffin with two parts linseed oil.  Though it's pretty messy and  obviously you’ll have to ban them smoking in bed!

If treated successfully, and give it a month to show signs of improvement, new scales will eventually grow back though this is a slow and not always a scar free process.

Invermectin is also claimed to be effective though not designed for birds so no withdrawal periods are known and for this reason it is only recommended for show birds.  See http://www.abbaseed.com/Supplements/Suppl2/IVERMECTIN/ivermectin.html

HF
Truth through science.

zoggett

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 07:08 »
Hi there Joyful my girls are all over a year old, somewhere between a year and 18 months.

Debbie

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 09:08 »
so in which case they should be egg laying (it has been known for the odd one not to lay but think you would be very unfortunate to have 2 out of 3). As you have only had them for a few weeks give them a few weeks longer to settle down. I have had new girls stop laying for a few weeks until they got accustomed to their new surroundings. Just keep checking that they are not laying elsewhere - under their coup, under bushes etc  :)

zoggett

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 14:29 »
Would the scaley leg have stopped them?

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 36 queries.