Chickens and sun

• 13 Replies

zoggett

Chickens and sun
« on: March 05, 2010, 19:06 »
Hi there, I am thinking of getting a couple of chickens but hubby says that we need to have a big garden, is he right? Also our garden does not get much sunshine during the winter months so would that be a problem> And thirdly we have  a dog, would that bother the chickens?

thanks for any help

dizzylizzie

Re: Chickens and sun
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 19:15 »
Hi, ok first things first, chickens make fab pets and are highly addictive, ask anyone :wub:. If you dont have a massive garden you could still have 2 or 3, dont worry so much about not getting much sun in the winter.....i dont think anyone had much sun this winter and the chooks on a whole seemed to get through it ok. What you do have to think about it how you want to keep your chickens. Mine free ranged but ate evrything, not everyones do this, but it is a risk. If you have a fixed run, you can have problems with keeping it clean and smelling fresh, although mine are fine. No-one can tell you about the dog because you know your dogs temprament. My dog is an angel with the chickens, but other peoples are not, so again, its something you would have to judge yourself. Even though my dog is gentle, i still wouldnt leave him alone with the chickens as sometimes instincs take over. There will be lots of people giving advice im sure, take care, lizzie

too many girls

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 19:16 »
Hi there, I am thinking of getting a couple of chickens but hubby says that we need to have a big garden, is he right? Also our garden does not get much sunshine during the winter months so would that be a problem> And thirdly we have  a dog, would that bother the chickens?

thanks for any help

1) how big is big garden?
2) chooks do like sunbathing but won't be bothered if there isn't too much of it.
3) only if he eats them ::)

have i helped? :D :D :D

karlooben

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 19:30 »
i think lizzie has covered this post  :lol: :lol: :lol: umm dont think theres anything i could add
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

zoggett

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 19:42 »
Thanks for all that, does anyone know where in East Yorkshire I could get my chickens from?

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 19:50 »
One of the worst things that people do not consider is MUD. Normally in winter you stay off the grass but if you make two trips (at least) per day across grass in wet weather you pretty soon end up with a mud puddle. This is before destructohens get to work on it.
Worth thinking about before siting the coop.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 19:56 »
Hi, scroll up to the top of the page, under the allotment heading are links to different parts of the site. Click on poultry pages, this will take you to a fab area that tells you lots about poultry. At the top of that page is a link to poultry and eggs, click on tht and there are some places there. You could also try looking in local feed stores, they will hav adverts up. The Omlet site (www.omlet.co.uk) have a breeds page. If you find a breed you like they may have some advertised for sale within your area. You may find you have set your heart on a certain breed and need to travel further afeild. You could also try rescue centres. The battery hen welfare trust re-homes battery hens, as dose the little hen  rescue, but try animal rescue centres also as lots of people get them, then get sick of them. There are also sites like pre-loved pets! Happy hunting :D

cheshirecat

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 23:08 »
Hi there, with regard to your comment abour your dog and chickens.  My JRT was 18 months when I got my 7 girls and as a typical terrier would chase anything that moved.
What I did initially, was to keeping taking him into the chickens fenced off area on a lead, and everytime he showed too much interest in a chick, I checked him hard on the lead and said NO LEAVE!  After a couple of weeks, I took him in the area with me and let him off the lead, again watching him carefully.  The chickens weren't bothered about him at all and he was more interested in their bums and eating their poo.  Now he doesn't bother with them at all.  However, it does depend very much on the dog's temperament and how much control you have over them.  Good luck! :)
Max.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 08:50 »
Even in a small garden it may be possible to have two or three sites for the coop so that you can rotate it around different areas of ground to make cleaning etc easier.
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

zoggett

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 20:10 »
Ordered chicken coop today

dizzylizzie

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 20:14 »
 :) :) :)

zoggett

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 15:28 »
I cant wait till it comes and hubby builds it :tongue2: Then gotta source some hens, was gonna go for ex batts but there isn't a rehoming day in our nearest  ??? area until end of April and I am far too impatient for that so still looking

Mother-Hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 15:46 »
Hi, would strongly recommend ex batts if you could be patient,  have had a few now and it's such a good feeling that you are giving them a second chance and the freedom. you won't be dissappointed.
Sometimes you have to accept that somedays you are the pigeon and somedays you are the statue!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 22:33 »
Hi, would strongly recommend ex batts if you could be patient,  have had a few now and it's such a good feeling that you are giving them a second chance and the freedom. you won't be dissappointed.
I cannot agree more  with that statement, we are loving ours and they are enjoying their freedom, so many different characters.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
Chickens in the loo!

Started by daveonions on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post December 20, 2008, 20:52
by Mr Chookles

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 33 queries.