Rats!

• 10 Replies

parsleypig

Rats!
« on: September 11, 2009, 11:12 »
We have a bit of a rat problem.  The cats caught one which I had seen running out from under the hen house and when we emptied the compost bins I saw another, but the cats weren't quick enough.  I guess there are more.  So we have decided to remove all temptation for them by removing the compost bins.  We have a brown bin collection here anyway so it is not a real problem not to compost.  We need to chop up a wood pile to clear another place I know the rats like. 

I understand  next I should remove their food source, easier said than done with hens.  At the moment the hen house is on pallets but the rats hide underneath so I want to raise it right up and put slabs down,  if we can get it tall enough it will also provide a dry place for the hens when it rains.  I am hoping  that the height of the house will mean that the hanging feeder in the house will be out of the rats reach.

I have no idea if rats can climb vertical weld mesh?  If I put small chicken wire  round the bottom of the run how high does it need to go to stop the rats getting in?  Also what is the best sort of ramp/ladder up to the pop hole to stop them?    Is there anything else we can do to stop them? I don't want to resort of poisoning them at this stage as the cats will be at risk when they catch them.

Any suggestion would be great. Thanks

nzdunn

Re: Rats!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 11:47 »
i guess removing all food source is a big factor aswell.   At night do you leave food out for the girls.   I remove all food once the girls have gone to bed and sweep up everything.   Also going abit of the subject love the guinea pig in your little piccy.   nickyx

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 12:00 »
We have an infestation of about 30-40 at the moment comming from nextdoor >:(
They insist on feeding them bread as they like them :mad: >:( :mad:
Raise the hen house yes, but put a slab base down first to stop them making a nest under it.
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

parsleypig

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 12:01 »
Hi Nicky,

Thanks for your reply, I have a hanging plastic feeder outside, it hangs from a tree and is a foot off the ground.  I though the rats wouldn't be able to get up to it but now I am not so sure.  We have a bark covered run so sweeping is not really an option.  I guess I will just have to be more vigilant that food scraps are not left.  I am just glad I got the kittens this year as they are probably the best deterrent we have.

The guinea pig is our big daddy 'Patch' - father of 3 but has since had the snip (well it was bit more than a snip)  He is the gentlest pig we have ever had.
Anna x

parsleypig

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 12:05 »
Hi Roll Roll,

Thanks for your reply.  Sorry to hear about your rat problem, how can anyone encourage rats like that, don't they understand the diseases they can carry.  Will Environmental Health do anything about it for you.

Yes, I think we will put a slab base down and someone has suggested put collars on the stilts to stop the rats climbing up.  Not sure what to make them out of though.

Annax

colliebird

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 12:10 »
We have a bit of a rat problem. .

Any suggestion would be great. Thanks

Remove all feeders at night and put them in rat proof bins.  During the night, put down plates containing Eradibait

http://www.eradi-products.com/

I can't use poison because I have dogs that get their noses into everything,.
I have been using Eradibait for almost a year now, and no longer have problems with rats, though I have seen the rare evidence of gnawing, which I immediately cover with metal mesh (they'd break their teeth on it if they tried to gnaw through it).

Eradibait specifically targets rodents.  All rodents.  If a cat, dog, or any other mammal eats  it, it doesn't do them any harm at all.  While I was preparing mine for the first time, one of my dogs ate some.  No problem whatsoever.  Their website explains how it works on rodents.

If you have a bird table, stop feeding the birds,  A bird table with seeds etc, is Christmas every day for the rats.  Also rat proof compost bins are better than open ones (I've got a tumbler and a standing one that is set on thick wire mesh so the rats can't tunnel into it).
I also have rat and mouse traps everywhere the dogs don't go but where mice and rats used to, and they haven't caught anything for a very long time.

If there's no food around, they won't come.

Hope this helps.  But have a look at the Eradibait site, it really is good stuff.

Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

Flowerpower136

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 12:13 »
Rats are very good climbers, my neighbour even saw one shimmying along her washing line!  She thought it was a squirrel at right, but no, twas a big fat rat.

Would strongly recommend Mark 4 Fenn Traps used in conjunction with DFT boxes to prevent accidents.  Have a look at the Domestic Wild Fowl website.

I have one in the hen run, and several around the garden.  Neighbours have got them too.  Within a week of them all going down between us we've killed off the main population.  Since then no sign, though the mice take the peanuts every night! (don't mind them).

Re hen food, take the feeders in every night, and put it out again in the morning, and make sure the coup has no gaps that a rat could get through.

Can't believe anyone would actually encourage a rat by feeding it? :ohmy:  I'd have a word with Environmental Health, and see if they could have a chat with these people.  If they carry on like that, the neighbourhood will be overrun with them, and it's getting to the time of year when they start looking for shelter.

Last winter, they got into the stone wall of our terrace, and took 3 months to be get rid of them.  Hence our new hobby with the Fenn Traps.

Best of luck.

colliebird

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 12:22 »
Blimey and Gadzooks :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:
I've been Googling the Fenn traps!!!!  You can't be clumsy if you want to set one of those  :wub:
I'd have my hand or fingers taken off if I tried to set one.  There must be easier traps to set if you don't want to mutilate yourself or your pets?  :unsure:

xx
dog eating human arm.gif

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 12:40 »
Yes Envorimental health are on the case already.
  As for hanging feeders I see small rats stand on their back legs, and they can reach up to 2 foot, and their the small one's :blink:

If possable just give them enough food that they will eat in one go so no food is left unattended. I know it means topping up regular but it will deprive the rats of food.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 12:46 »
Don't be put off.  You must treat them with respect, but once you've got the knack they are easy.  If I can set them, anyone can.

Though........did trap my thumb first time.  Owwwwwwww.

But we're talking rats here, don't want to just tickle em.

If used with DFT box, perfectly safe for pets, hedgehogs etc.  Box is designed so they cant get in.  OK for smaller things too, because they won't spring the trap.  You need a big old rat to do that!

As I said, I've got one in the hen run, no probelms, and several round the garden, and have a dog, again, no problems.  Perfectly safe.

Was recommended to me by our local gamekeeper.  She's caught hundreds and hundreds with them, and woulnt use anything else.

If you're anywhere in the vicinity, come for a demo. :lol:  Bring your own rat though, cos all ours have gone!

grumpydad

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 20:05 »
ascot smallholding do an electric trap-killer, runs off batteries, rat goes in and gets electrocuted, light then tells you it has been activated.
no poison, nice and clean

roll roll, you would need lots of batteries i think for that many !!!!!

lol

martyn

xx
rats .rats and more blooming rats

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post March 06, 2007, 11:40
by muntjac
xx
RATS

Started by geezer012000 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 13:43
by joyfull
xx
Rats!!!

Started by alexroyall85 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 06, 2018, 22:07
by grinling
xx
Rats...

Started by Lorie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 18, 2012, 21:59
by grinling

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 39 queries.