cockerel

• 1 Replies

chech221

cockerel
« on: March 18, 2009, 20:36 »
hi all i just got a new cockerel for my 15 hens its a marran if ive spelled it right,hes only 7 months old and very friendly with the hens,what im trying to do is prevent him of attacking me my partner or my kids, as the last cockerel did exactly that every time i went into the shed flying into me with his claws,so i got rid and thought a younger one may respect us and not attack ever.now the question is how do i prevent it or cant it be done? going by what ive heard they can be quite aggresive,any advice would be gratefull.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 20:37 by Ice »

Foxy

Re: cockerel
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 21:46 »
Hello chech221,

Some breeds can be a little tetchy, marans I hear are one of them, although sometimes you can get a nasty strain! :blink:
It does help to handle often, what I do is take hold of the cockerel and lie him on his side on the grass, then I place on hand over his head which calms him and the other hand I stroke him gently and talk to him until he becomes completely calm,still and quiet. I gently remove my hand, he should lay quiet then after a moment jump to his feet. I give him a treat -piece of bread or something still talking. I breed large faverolles and cochins -both big breeds and have never had a nasty cockerel, :D

xx
ill cockerel

Started by andyoak on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 07:54
by andyoak
xx
Cockerel Box

Started by trinamc on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 04, 2011, 08:58
by trinamc
xx
Hen or cockerel

Started by Asaunders on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 18:56
by Asaunders
xx
cockerel or not?

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 17, 2010, 09:06
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 38 queries.