My sick chicken

• 2 Replies

nialler91

My sick chicken
« on: January 22, 2009, 14:53 »
Hi there, we recently moved out into the country into an old farmhouse. my dad bought me two chickens, Long Neck and Beaky. i have had them for a good 6 months, but then about 2 weeks ago, the smaller hen, beaky, got sick. she has stayed in her large hutch since, while we would let Long Neck out to roam the garden like usual.

a week ago long neck suddenly died.i wnet to check on beaky in the morning and in their hutch long neck was dead, and i notcied at his bum area, it looked like his insides were coming out a little. doesanyone know what this could have been?

also beaky is still ill. he hasnt been out for 2 weeks...my dad who is a farming advisor, seems to think it is bumblefoot, he has been injecting it with antibiotics, and on top of her foot there is a slight swelling, but no black mark which i thought if it was bumblefooot, there should have been? can anyone confrim if this is bumblefoot? and if so how should i treat it. as yesterday beaky tried to move out of her hutch but she cant support herself on her feet and kept on falling over...i tried to lift her a few times and place her on her feet but everytime i put her down she would take a few steps and tumble over, almost as of her legs are dead.

i would appreciate any help,
thanks.

Vember

My sick chicken
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 15:18 »
Hi Nialler

Welcome to the Hen House :)

I have no experience of Bumble foot I'm afraid but this is what it says inThe Chicken Health Handbook - G Damerow

"Symptoms : in maturing birds, especially in males of heeavy breeds: lameness, reluctance to walk, inflamed foot (one or both), hot, hard, swollen, or puss filled abcess or dark black scab on bottom of foot, resting on hocks; sometimes sores appear on hocks or bottom of toes."

How old were they when you got them?
What is her breathing like?
Any coughing, gasping?  
Is she eating & drinking normally?
What do her poops look like?
There's a thread here with pics might help compare :?

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=17568

Sarah :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
My sick chicken
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 16:02 »
... and were they innoculated aginst Marek's disease ?

xx
Sick Chicken

Started by kegs on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 06, 2011, 09:33
by kimmcb
thumbup
Sick chicken

Started by Bennett on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 11:21
by ANHBUC
xx
sick chicken, help please

Started by bluebirds love chickens on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 02, 2009, 18:43
by bluebirds love chickens
xx
Very sick chicken

Started by bacchus51 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post November 25, 2010, 21:49
by Pol

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 36 queries.