Harvesting potatoes

• 21 Replies

Grubbypaws

Harvesting potatoes
« on: June 26, 2022, 11:51 »
I am a bit confused about my potatoes. The Pentland Javelin and Jazzy shouldn't be ready until the mid/end of July but the foliage is looking very tired and I wondered if they might be a bit more advanced with all the good weather we have had. Is this possible?.

I will have a guddle but I wondered whether anyone on the forum had knowledge regarding this.

Snow

• Experienced Member
Re: Harvesting potatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 13:02 »
I've had to water my pots, also growing pentland javelin,  and we've not had the hot weather you have further south. So could it be underwatering?

When did you plant them as well? I didn't plant until April 12th, so they have a bit longer to go, being a bit of a later first early

Grubbypaws

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 14:07 »
They were planted on 10th April so shouldn't be ready until 24th July. They are in containers and have been well watered. They just have that look when the potato foliage has done its work and is thinking about dying down. Jazzy potatoes even more so.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 13:53 »
Dug up one of the Jazzy containers. Good number of potatoes but very small. All the Jazzy containers are looking distinctly past their best. This will be the first time Jazzy has let me down and I dont know the cause. Anyone have any ideas?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 19:53 »
Small potatoes are generally associated with lack of water at the tuber formation stage, and it has been particularly hot and dry recently
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 11:25 »
Potatoes are very hungry feeders.  It may not be lack of water but lack of feeding.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 12:44 »
They have been well fed and watered. They were planted in compost with potato food added at that stage and have been fed with low nitrogen fertilizer at regular intervals since they were full grown. They have been drenched every week or so. It is more like the haulms have just decided to fade before the job is done  :(

It has been very windy here. I wonder whether this has damaged the foliage but that wouldn't explain why it is just the Jazzy, the Pentland Javelin and Setanta look healthy.

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 16:44 »
We  packed upgrowing Jazzy I never rated them as a good potato anyway most of our potatoes are doing well digging new spuds Pentland Javelin and going to try digging some Charlotte next week I was thinking about trying a variety called Casablanca this season but I stuck with Pentland maybe IL give Casablanca a try next year if anyone has been growing Casablanca what's you take on this potato for both size and taste replies most welcome

jaydig

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 19:27 »
This year I've grown my potatoes at home, only first earlies as I've given up trying to rescue maincrop from blight.  They have been kept watered and I've never grown potatoes this good on the plot.  The actual plants are up to my chin in height and I'm 5'6", and I've been taking beautiful spuds from around the plants for a couple of weeks now. I actually dug up a root at the beginning of this week and filled a large colander to overflowing with lovely clean potatoes.  These are a variety called Premier and I have Charlottes to follow on from these. Premier flavour is extremely good.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 14:00 »
Jayjig, Have you tried Setanta as a maincrop? They are blight resistant and produce potatoes that are superb roasted. So far I have had no problems with blight growing them.

jaydig

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2022, 09:11 »
Jayjig, Have you tried Setanta as a maincrop? They are blight resistant and produce potatoes that are superb roasted. So far I have had no problems with blight growing them.
They sound as if they're worth trying.  I did try the Sarpo varieties when they were first available, but I didn't rate the taste much although they did prove to be blight resistant.

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2022, 18:23 »
Our Pentland Javelin went in - at home - on 25th March, and were possibly too close together, but we just said 'S** it' and they started to get dug out 12th June, so you're not far behind!

Have to admit they're the best crop we've ever had, and when the halms dry off, as they're doing now, I'll have some space for a late sowing of summat - not sure what yet, but we'll think of something!

We're lucky, as we have the garden hose to keep them going, whereas when we had 'The Patch' down the road, it was a nightmare, especially as the frost kept appearing when we didn't want it to...

Grubbypaws

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2022, 08:46 »
I dug up another container of Jazzy and it was a bumper crop! The foliage on all the jazzy is dying back. The reason I grow them is because usually you can harvest them as second earlies or leave them longer as mains, spreading the harvest out to fit in with your needs. This year they have all come at once and we are going to be swamped!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2022, 21:06 »
I have a couple of small rows of Jazzy in and a few plants are showing yellowing foliage, while the rest are still looking fresh and green.  I haven’t dug any up yet, but it does seem early for them to give up the ghost.

My other 2nd earlies (Kestrel) look fine  :wacko:

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2022, 11:14 »
They sound as if they're worth trying.  I did try the Sarpo varieties when they were first available, but I didn't rate the taste much although they did prove to be blight resistant.
We've gone from Sarpo to Setanta because we find them just as blight resistant & better flavoured.

xx
Harvesting potatoes

Started by Rich72 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 18:38
by sunshineband
xx
Harvesting potatoes

Started by BLOOMING LOVELY on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 14:14
by Vit
xx
harvesting potatoes

Started by Charityuk on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post June 20, 2012, 21:03
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Harvesting potatoes

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 11, 2008, 13:06
by purplebean

Page created in 0.415 seconds with 51 queries.