Swollen eye 'glued' shut - help please

• 2 Replies

ghost61

Swollen eye 'glued' shut - help please
« on: November 26, 2016, 17:18 »
It seems I'm going through the mill at the moment with my hens.  One death, one youngster laying two soft shelled eggs overnight (now solved and all fine!), cannot integrate my newbies as the older two are in moult, and now the other newbie has a virus of some sort probably picked up from those pesky wood pigeons (mine free range in turn).  She displayed her illness by keeping one eye closed.  I have nursed her for the last three days and despite being close to death at times she has survived so far and especially tonight was very talkative and ate heartily before bed.  Problem is that the closed eye seems glued shut.  There is absolutely no discharge, nothing running at all, no sign of any scab etc, just won't open.  I dripped some warm water on it today but no effect.  Any advice please?  I am so hopeful that she will recover from the virus but now worried that the eye is permanently stuck shut! 

LILLILEAF

Re: Swollen eye 'glued' shut - help please
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 08:33 »
I had this problem with one of my hens,i simply put some vasealine over the eye and around it,this worked by making all the dry stuff soft,leave it on for a while to do its work about an hour,then wash with warm water the get rid of the debris,and dry with a soft cloth,the hen wriggle,wellmine did.
 See how you get on.Lillileaf

ghost61

Re: Swollen eye 'glued' shut - help please
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 09:39 »
Many thanks for your advice, Lillileaf.  I will try later today as still syringing water into her, so I am used to her wriggling!  Think she is trying to open it but can't!  Bless!

sad
Poland chickens suffering from swollen shut eyes.

Started by Fransoire on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 07:55
by too many girls
wink
Shut eye

Started by hoptonboy on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 19, 2012, 13:51
by Casey76
sad
Eye welded shut following pox

Started by Devotedtochicks on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 05, 2012, 09:26
by ANHBUC
xx
one eye shut-infection?

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 21, 2009, 14:50
by colliebird

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 35 queries.