Won't go in the run

• 12 Replies

zoggett

Won't go in the run
« on: November 11, 2015, 21:05 »
For some reason my chickens have suddenly stopped going from the coop into the run. I have to physically put one in the run so that the other follows. When they go into the coop during day they won't go back into the run. They are still laying every day. Any ideas ?

compostqueen

Re: Won't go in the run
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 22:39 »
Check it for lodgers! You could have some mites in their, which make life very uncomfy for the birds. Get the torch out and check every nook and cranny.  You can thoroughly clean the coop and treat it for mites and the birds as well

Beekissed

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 23:54 »
Check for aerial predators.  If your run doesn't have a top on it they could be getting attempts by a hawk and are now fearful of going out into the run.  Usually if they are afraid to go out of shelter it's due to a lurking predator. 

grinling

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 22:13 »
what is the floor of the run made out of?
check for holes around the run border as well as holes in the wire
how high is the fence and is it covered?

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 08:55 »
If the food is outside they will go out when they get hungry.

If the food is in the coop it should not be . :)

It is normal for hens to fill their crops and go sit in the coop to dry out for a couple of hours if it is rainy .
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 08:57 by 8doubles »

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 14:08 »
I don't know where you are in the UK but wonder if it is just down to current weather conditions or fireworks! :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 15:47 »
I don't know where you are in the UK but wonder if it is just down to current weather conditions or fireworks! :(

I had a cheap infra red camera in the coop to keep an eye on the hens during stormy weather (just turn the tv on , none of the getting cold and wet) and the girls did not get at all worried by fireworks , they might raise their head if a screechy rocket went up but no sign of panic ! :)

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 08:15 »
That's a good idea. They aren't usually bothered by fireworks, just a thought especially if had come especially close. :)

Beekissed

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 19:24 »

It is normal for hens to fill their crops and go sit in the coop to dry out for a couple of hours if it is rainy .

Don't know why feed shouldn't be in the coop.  Been keeping it there for nigh on 20+ yrs now.   ;)

8doubles

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 08:10 »

Don't know why feed shouldn't be in the coop.  Been keeping it there for nigh on 20+ yrs now.   ;)

Most UK domestic coops are not big enough , the food attracts vermin at night and the hens might not bother to go outside ! :)

Alway exceptions to the rule , huge coops and countries where the hens are better of inside during the winter.

How big is your coop?

Beekissed

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 19:29 »

Most UK domestic coops are not big enough , the food attracts vermin at night and the hens might not bother to go outside ! :)

Alway exceptions to the rule , huge coops and countries where the hens are better of inside during the winter.

How big is your coop?

10X12   I don't leave feed in the coop overnight, as I feed a daily ration and just enough that they clean it all up before nightfall.  Keeps rodents from becoming a problem, no matter the size of the coop.  If you leave it outside, the wild birds dip into it and bring along whatever mites and diseases they may be carrying along, so it's six of one, half dozen of the other about leaving it out or in~birds and squirrels outside, mice inside. 

Since I just feed once a day, the hens go out looking for food outdoors until they get that food, so just feeding a daily ration may take care of all those problems of feeding inside the coop.  It's easy, it saves money from less feed waste, it eliminates the pest factor. 

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 20:32 »
I had trouble with mine the other day. The soil floor of their run was all wet and squidgy so I decided to put some Nettex ground santising powder down to make things better for my chooks.  Put plenty down like it says on the package and my birds would not go near. As darkness fell I opened the back door of the eglu and they went straight in the coop. When I opened up the coop the next day into the run they were fine :)

Not sure if it was the smell or the white colour that put them off :unsure:
rip Sandy, rip Beryl, Henrietta

Know what would be nice in your garden, a few hens lol

RubyR3d

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 07:48 »
Probably thought it was snow. Mine hate snow lol

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 31 queries.