zandelia

warren chickens
« on: August 24, 2013, 16:09 »
hi can some1 giv me some information on this breed plz

Miriam

• Cotswold Gardener
Re: warren chickens
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 17:23 »
If you're planning on getting some warrens ( or ISA Browns as they are officially known) , I say thats an excellent choice! Best layers, friendly, chatty and companionable in the veg garden. Will help you weed too! Never mind all those fancy pants breeds. These will keep you in eggs for most of the year and are healthy. Use their bedding straw as a compost for the garden and when you spread muck on your veg beds in spring, let them loose on the patch and they do a good job of scratching it into the soil.
Enjoy!
If growing food was a science we'd all be dead

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 20:20 »
They are prolific layers but the downside to that is they run out of eggs at an earlier age.  They are usually not as long lived as other breeds that lay less frequently.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ehs284

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 21:45 »
We've had some lovely Warrens, lots of fun, very friendly. Bad news - for us, maybe just a coincidence - several had prolapses. Most could be put back. I suspect that they give eggs which are just too big for the size of bird.

bramford

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 21:21 »
we have warrens and they are great, had others but still go back to them  :)

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 09:15 »
Warrens (or other production reds) are the most common hen used in chicken farms.  They are bred specifically for a) easy sexing after hatching and b) being prolific egg layers.

Warrens will normaly start to lay ar 17-19 weeks of age, and they will lay up to 285 eggs during their first "season." However as they are bred to lay prolifically, they do run out of eggs fairly quickly, and are considered "spent" by the industry at 80 weeks of age, at which point they are culled or sold and a new batch brought in.

However what is considered the norm in industry isnt normally so for back yard keepers.  While it is true that they will lay prolifically for their first season, and then taper off during their second season, you may still get occasional eggs up until about 3 years of age.

One of the downsides of laying prolificaly, is that they may be at greater risk of health problems, such as prolapses (especially if they lay large eggs all the time), egg yolk peritonitis or internal laying etc.

One positive thing, is that as a comercial hybrid, they will normally be fully vaccinated against most chicken diseases at purchase (if you buy Point of Lay pullets from a commercial supplier).

I have always found commercial red hens to be inquisitive and friendly, economical to purchase, but not long lived.

HTH :)

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 20:07 »
I have got four Warrens and they are brilliant fun and friendly!!
Pull up a perch!!

joolz68

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 20:32 »
I love my warrens  :) They are as been said...fun,friendly and great layers :) i sit with mine for hours somedays,dig worms with them and try to learn the chicken lingo :lol:

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 09:59 »
If you are a first-timer to chooks they are a very good start. If you already have chooks that may not be vaccinated identically to the Warrends or at all it is not a good idea to mix them. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Warren with no comb

Started by roxker on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 17, 2011, 10:19
by roxker
xx
Help please....injured warren

Started by beth123 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 18, 2010, 09:12
by compostqueen
xx
warren chicken

Started by chelseablue on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post November 09, 2007, 21:52
by richyrich7
xx
can my warren have a cold ?

Started by terri on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 22:21
by Chookiechook

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 34 queries.