Strawberries??

• 6 Replies

infowarrior

• Experienced Member
Strawberries??
« on: November 13, 2011, 14:24 »
   I've still got a few strawberry plants in pots outside. Obviously there's no strawberrys on them at this time of year but my question is do I need to plant the small miniature plants (forgot the name of them) that comes off the main plants now for the roots to get established, or do I just leave them attached to the main plant until spring for example??  Also a few of the plants look like they've completley died off, not like the other ones. Are these plants completley dead or if left alone will they spring back into action when the weather warms up next year and if so why have some completley died and some still look ok??

Cheers.

m1ckz

Re: Strawberries??
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 15:10 »
yes u can do it now,,i did mine about 3 weeks ago an all look well , they say just use 1 runner from each plant but i took 2 from some  right or wrong im not sure lol ,,,

m1ckz

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 15:11 »
oh  and there called (runners }

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 16:09 »
Somebody more expert on strawberries than me will hopefully be along shortly. 

We take our runners at the end of August then plant them on by the end of September if there's space - if not, we leave them in their pots on the ground until spring.  We don't let year old plants produce runners.  We try to keep snipping off any runners that appear after then.

Oddly, we have a couple a plants in flower now - its been a strange year!  The older plants now look as if they are going into dormancy - so that might be what your seeing.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 16:27 »
Strawberries are tough and forgiving plants so I don't think there are any really hard and fast rules - the main aims should be to replace old plants after 3 years and not to do anything which could unnecessarily reduce the plant's strength and vigour.

In that respect I think it's a good idea to remove all runners which aren't needed to produce replacement plants, but when you do need them allow no more than one per plant, and also (in my case) to remove all flowers and fruits appearing now which haven't a hope of ripening (but bless them for trying!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 21:27 »
Ive just brought back 30 runners from Scotland that my father in-law has kept and dug up for me.. going to get them potted tomorrow and plant out in Spring as my plot is not ready yet.. they are strong plants and tend to live through anything!! so he says!! He should know he's been growing veg for 45 years!! 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 21:29 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 23:34 »
I've been tidying up my strawbs in troughs and discovered about 6 big ripe berries on my new "Elegance" plants and there are 2 runners that I've potted too. They were dry rooted and planted 2 months ago!! Not bad for a June cropper!!! Can understand it on my others which are perpetual.

xx
Strawberries

Started by rob on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 20:51
by richyrich7
xx
Strawberries

Started by paj on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 03:29
by Trillium
xx
strawberries

Started by samuria on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 24, 2019, 16:29
by rowlandwells
xx
Strawberries

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 19, 2006, 20:11
by John

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 36 queries.