Lupin Seeds

• 4 Replies

lilly2k3

Lupin Seeds
« on: July 06, 2007, 18:22 »
Hi,

I am quite new to growing things so please forgive my ignorance before I start  :oops:

I grew some Lupins from seed last year and they have loads of pods containing seeds for the first time this year. Are these usable to plant to get more lupins?
If so do I pick them or wait for them to fall off?
I have opened one up and the seds are green and damp at the moment. If I need to pick them, when do I do it?
Like to be as nice as possible to our planet!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Lupin Seeds
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 19:50 »
Yes you should be able to get saved seeds from them, but what you get I don't know not the same colours as you have now probably.

Have all the flowers fallen off and the seed pods swollen ?

If so you could cut of the flower head and bring it into some where dry hang it upside down with a paper bag over it. The seed pods will dry and open dropping the seeds into the bag.

Or you could leave them on the plant to get on with it for now and then remove the flower head as it starts to dry and go brown.

Or you could just leave them to get on with it and see if they self set.

Bit long winded sorry :lol:

Hope this helps
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Lupin Seeds
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 11:43 »
Yeah, wot Richy says!  I had lupins from bought seed 2 years ago, but now I save my seed from the plants, and most of them germinate, but also lupins are perennials, so they grow again anyway.

In fact, I save most of my own flower seeds, as I can't really afford to buy flower seeds, my bit of money goes on my veg seed.  This year my couple of hanging baskets have got marigolds, verbena, nasturtiums and petunia from seed saved from last year.  and some green creepy stuff that I bought cheap from a nursery, and helps fill in the odd bits!!!

lilly2k3

Lupin Seeds
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 14:49 »
Hi guy's,

Thanks for responding.
I am going to give both ways a try. I am going to remove some of the stems of pods and hang them up to dry and also just leave some where they are to do their own thing. They have lost all of the flowers and swollen up now.
I want the seeds to grow new plants for my mothers garden which I have some how become responsible for now to  :shock:
Thanks for the advice!

digital_biscuit

• Experienced Member
Lupin Seeds
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 22:53 »
Hi

I am growing Lupins again now, they were my favourite as a child! The seeds, if left on the plant will dry out and then the seed pod will twist to disperse the seeds. I used to grab mine when they had dried and before dispersal.

xx
when can I sow lupin seeds?

Started by starry on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post January 14, 2011, 16:00
by Trillium
xx
Lupin seeds

Started by iggyboy on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 14:39
by rock_chick
xx
lupin

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 07, 2020, 19:53
by rowlandwells
xx
Lupin Saver

Started by cissie on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 17:42
by cissie

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 35 queries.