Lupin seeds

• 6 Replies

iggyboy

Lupin seeds
« on: June 09, 2010, 17:59 »
I have always enjoyed my lupins,but I have only ever grown Russells mixed from packets and all the seed produced has usually been handed out to other eager growers. My question is; How do I go about growing my Lupins from fresh seed? Do I plant into compost as soon as they are ready from the plant or do I pack them up when dry and leave them until the following spring?
...the night was dark...they usually are!

Trillium

Re: Lupin seeds
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 22:17 »
I'd get them started this year for flowering next year. If you have a bit of space in the garden somewhere, mark off a patch for them and direct seed, spacing about 2-3" apart, and keep moistened until you see them sprout. In fall you can, if you wish, move them to permanent places. I moved mine on a drizzly day which the lupins appreciated. By doing them this way, they get everything they need and you've less bother, particularly if you thought to keep them in a greenhouse which they'd hate as they're cool weather plants.

iggyboy

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 15:38 »
cheers Trillium,that helps me no end. happy gardening! :D

fatcat1955

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 23:14 »
Rough the seeds up with a bit of sandpaper first.

missycat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 22:12 »
I sowed seed saved from last year...2 seeds per module, 28 modules and have only had 7 seedlings so far (21 days) :(...I'm a little disappointed but hoping more will germinate as parent plant has been completely eaten by slugs. Would sowing the seed fresh last year have been more successful?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 22:24 by missycat »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 22:35 »
On GW tonight they took seeds from the hellebore plant and said that it did best with fresh seed or, if not used fresh, stored for no longer until next spring in a fridge.

Don't know whether this is the same for lupins though, sorry.  Have you looked on the rhs website, they may have guidance specific to lupins?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rock_chick

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 14:39 »
I've previously saved lupin seeds, which I dried in over winter and then planted the following spring. I wasn't sure how good the germination was going to be, so I planted all of the seeds. I must have done something right for a change, as I ended up with over 100 plants! I ended up giving most of them away, or being used as plant swaps.
http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

No two gardens are the same. No two days are the same in one garden.

xx
Lupin Seeds

Started by lilly2k3 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post July 24, 2007, 22:53
by digital_biscuit
xx
when can I sow lupin seeds?

Started by starry on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post January 14, 2011, 16:00
by Trillium
xx
lupin

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 07, 2020, 19:53
by rowlandwells
xx
Lupin seedlings

Started by jonewer on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 23, 2013, 14:46
by corco2000

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 41 queries.