Hen's face changes colour

• 4 Replies

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
Hen's face changes colour
« on: August 16, 2011, 21:20 »
I've got a Black Rock, who normally has a pinkish face, but just lately her face has become grey. It's really weird: it can go from grey back to pink over a period of a few hours (and vice versa). Can't say I've noticed this happening to any of the other hens.

Apart from the odd face change, she seems fine - is mixing with the other hens, eating and so on. Has anyone ever come across this sort of thing before?

Helenaj

Re: Hen's face changes colour
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 09:51 »
If it is something that comes and goes, it may be indicative of a heart problem - her face and comb will go pale (to purple/blue) and back again. How old is she?

helens-hens

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 13:53 »
I have a Rhode Rock (or similar) and her face & comb vary between crimson red (like she has a had a wee dram or 2!) to pale pink. I don't know if this has got something to do with the egg laying process or perhaps fertility, but I don't think it is anything to worry about.

Does her comb change colour too?
Helen

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 20:22 »
Thanks for replies.

My Black Rock is around 3 years old, and she rarely lays an egg (by rarely, I mean once or twice a year!).

The colour change only affects her face: her comb is red, and when her face is pale, it doesn't look blue at all - just grey. I'll try to take some photos, as it will probably demonstrate the problem better than trying to describe it - she really looks like two different hens!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 23:36 »
It sounds like she's going through the Henopause and having hot flushes!    ???  (And I'm only half joking.)

As is often the case, I have no experience of this but I do have a theory.  ::)

The colour of a hen's face is closely related to the hormones flowing through her body.  This is why a young pullet has small, pink comb and wattles and a pale face and a hen in her 'full flush' of production has a red face and 'plump' features.

(The parallels with humans are obvious so I'm sure I don't need to spell them out.)

It sounds like your hen is having big fluctuations in the level of reproductive hormones in her body, causing big swings in her face colour.  With her laying history it sounds like she is prone to irregular hormonal swings anyway, which may be why these changes seem so dramatic.

I would suggest that there's probably nothing to worry about.  Or if there is something to worry about, there is nothing you can do!  It's possible there is something awry with her reproductive system (hens can get ovarian cysts and other things just like humans) or it's possible she has just reached 'that time in her life' when she won't lay any more.

As usual, I think the best you can do for her is to make sure her feed and housing are in the best possible condition so her general health is the best it can be.  Then wait and see if she settles down.

If you really wanted to get carried away with the human analogy you could experiment with some of the remedies used for human menopause.  I'm not suggesting hormone replacement therapy!  But there is plenty of herbal advice like evening primrose oil supplements and vitamin B supplements - none of which I have tried so I'm not recommending them!  But a balanced avian multivitamin and mineral supplement wouldn't do any harm either.

xx
pale face?

Started by susa on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2011, 21:15
by Casey76
xx
SWOLLEN FACE

Started by stickywicket on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 23, 2008, 10:17
by Paddywack
xx
Brahma's red face

Started by Lynda_T on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 06, 2009, 07:48
by Lynda_T
sad
Pale Face Chicken

Started by susiedig on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 10:34
by susiedig

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 32 queries.