What's for Christmas dinner then?

• 26 Replies

GraciesGran

Re: What's for Christmas dinner then?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2023, 06:19 »
We're at our son and daughter in law.  My understanding is prawn cocktail, roast turkey and beef with assorted veg and yorkshire puds.  Dessert is a yummy chocolate trifle or mince pies followed by cheese.  I'll be sipping prosecco while the others are on red wine.

Goosegirl

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2023, 09:11 »
I love prawn cocktail as long as the lettuce isn't dripping with water and the Rose Marie sauce is thick and tangy.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rowlandwells

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2023, 14:46 »
so many lovely Christmas dinners we've decided to have a large free range chicken this year with all the trimmings and Christmas pud the point is who's doing the washing up I know your going to leave the table after filling your face dump yourself in your favourite chair and go into nodlland wake me up dear when its time for tea so what about the washing up ?

wighty

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2023, 16:59 »
Paul is a four year at college  trained chef, I'm only a 'cook'.  He cooks, I wash up as we go along, although he moans that I clear up too quickly behind him.   I always do the starter and the dessert though.  The worst year we ever had was when my youngest daughter came home who was in her second year at catering college and I got continuous calls of 'Paul, Mum's doing it wrong'.

Goosegirl

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2023, 09:34 »
My husband is a trained chef and used to make the most marvellous meals. He also had the innate knowledge of how to use left-overs. His turkey or Guinea fowl broth with a dollop of double cream was to die for! As said by wighty, he cooked and I washed up as we went along. We had to because the size of the kitchen in our previous home you could put on a postage stamp! 

wighty

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2023, 16:57 »
Being married to a chef is not a really good thing.  I like slow cooking, Paul always put everything on the hottest heat and 'boils' it to death.

Goosegirl

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2023, 12:07 »
Meet in the middle and let it simmer!  :mad:

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2023, 13:13 »
Aldi's fresh bronze gobbler with giblets and all the trimmings. The bird will be 'flying inverted' in the oven.  Been in the shed constructing a little something to support the beast.  To be eaten on the 26th, we're off to the brother in laws (who happens to be my beloved's brother) for Christmas dinner.

Cheers  Tony. :lol:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 11:35 by Kleftiwallah »
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

rowlandwells

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2023, 15:28 »
you know I said in my previous reply we where having a free range chicken with all the trimmings well its all changed we went  to Tesco the other day and her indoors seen a lovely Turkey crown on offer with you cub card of cause so its got to be a must have it but I have to say it looked very nice and fresh so its now a Turkey crown with all the trimmings I'm keeping the fresh chicken for anther occasion and we forgot the cranberry sauce went to lydl sold out then to our local co-op sold out the to or local cost cutters sold out so we ended up with a jar of redcurrant  jelly nearly the same  :D  I said no more food shopping we've done enough this year but then there's boxing day sales O' no  :(

wighty

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2023, 16:44 »
We've been to Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, Morrisons and the Co-op and nobody is doing breaded camembert this year as a starter.  We've managed to get some Brie with a 'puffed rice crust' and I do have redcurrant jelly in the cupboard so that will have to do I suppose.   I'll get Paul to drop me off at Sainsbury's tomorrow in Freshwater for one last look.  I can't on Christmas Eve, start my meal without  a cheese type starter as we have fish as the main course.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2023, 21:07 »
WARNING... Look away lass

French onion soup for starters.
Mains...
Goose (hate that dry boring tasteless meat called turkey)
Roasties done in goose fat
Bit of mash and veg.
Christmas pudding for pud
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2023, 03:28 »
To each their own Aidy...

... but Mrs. Subversive makes the most savory, succulent, tender roast turkey on the planet (my favorite meal of the year is centered around roast turkey, our Thanksgiving holiday in late November).
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

xx
Dinner or lunch

Started by RubyRed on Chatting on the Plot

16 Replies
Last post December 01, 2018, 10:48
by New shoot
xx
best dinner service

Started by wighty on Chatting on the Plot

14 Replies
Last post August 27, 2023, 09:17
by Goosegirl
xx
A drama at dinner time

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post February 03, 2019, 15:33
by rowlandwells
xx
It's Christmas Day

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 14:11
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 50 queries.