rotovator fuel help

• 10 Replies

titch

rotovator fuel help
« on: March 30, 2009, 23:17 »
Our allotment site has had a rotavator donated (fab huh) - i am trying to find out what type, but apparently it runs on 4 star fuel...................... now as i understood this you cant get this anymore........... so...........
if we can still get 4 star where from?
if it can run on unleaded is there anything we should be doing to make it ok?
what fuel shoudl we run it on if the above are'nt viable?

asking on behalf of the chair and other plot holders
will try and find out what sort tomorrow when i get up there and let you know (i dont know i guess it might make a difference)

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 21:35 by Ice »
just keep breathing................

Gwiz

Re: rotavator fuel help
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 12:46 »
I can't imagine that there are any rotovators left in the UK that haven't been run on unleaded now.... Having said that, there's always a first....
I expect ( but wouldn't want to put any money on it untill we know WHAT rotovator!) that they meant four stroke petrol, as opposed to two stroke.

However, if I'm barking up the wrong tree, you can get an additive to put into unleaded petrol to boost it a little.
We do need to know more details about your machine. Briggs have been fitting hardened valve seats (needed for use with unleaded petrol) for donkeys years, they were using unleaded in the USA long before we started using it over here, so if it's a briggs engine, you will be fine using "decaf" petrol for sure.
Keep us posted.

titch

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 17:29 »
thanks gwiz, hoping to get up there tonight before dark so will take a look and let you know
ah yes 4 stroke and two stroke, brought back memories of my batavus moped  :)

titch

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 19:12 »
its a qualcast cultivator deluxe (looks quite old) - whats the difference between a rotavator and a cultivator? (ah, not a joke, a real question)

any ideas on fuel then?  the lady still says it runs on 4 star,
what additive needs to go in unleaded?

thank you

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 19:39 »
Hello,

I wonder if that is Cultimatic rather than Cultivator.??

Qualcast Cultimatic Super had Suffolk 98g14 engine.

Cultimatic Special had 3hp Briggs & Stratton

....and the Cultimatic De-Luxe had 4hp Briggs & Stratton

If it indeed retains its B&S engine...  then on the cowling tinwork...perhap the flat vertical section facing the carb/air filter you should see 3 series of numbers stamped into the tin..they may be rusted or painted over..but they will be there unless a new cowling fitted at some stage..

With these you may be able to obtain a representative operating manual starting form this link;
http://www2.briggsandstratton.com/maint_repair/manual_and_more/

The last set of numbers Code will give the age away...first 2 numbers this Code series being the year of the engine...perhaps 79  as in 1979 or thereabouts??

Indeed if it is B&S 4 stroke then as mentioned... Unleaded petrol for the fuel and SAE30 oil for the sump oil.

"Dori"
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 19:42 by dorimower »

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 20:02 »

I should add that Cultimatic that I refered to previously was a "harvest gold" sort of colour with white handles etc.

There was a later Cultimatic B66 which was all but the same as Merry Tiller Cadet..it was green with Qualcast Suffolk Atco A114 4 stroke engine.

"Dori"

titch

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 21:44 »
sounds like it dori, it is indeed harvest gold colour (with lots of mud) with white handles and only said cultivator cos not able to see all the wording

will take a closer look when we get it out for a go, but sounds right
thanks for the sump oil ref,
will let you knwo more wehn i find out meself
thank you

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 06:35 »
I did not pick up one question....

I believe the word "Rotavator" is/was?? a trademark name.. of Howard ??...hence I suspect another name was used.."cultivator"...and Qualcasts own model name "Cultimatic"..whilst others may use "Tiller"??

"Dori"
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 06:37 by dorimower »

titch

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 19:18 »
so can i assume that they all do the same thing, regardless of their name then? i.e. turn over the soil and chop it finely (ok i'm sure thats not the best way of describing it but i am a total newbie to allotmenteering)

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 19:43 »
More or less....however with some machine types there are a whole range of tines to suit different jobs....
For instance on the Merry Tiller range there were the general rotavating use Slasher tines which I think would be slightly heavier in design and more curved blades than those on the Qualcast Cultimatic...then they had the Finger tines for working down a fine tilth on the top without tearing it up deep...and various other wheels, tines, etc almost ad-infinitum...

I seem to recall that the Cultimatic Slasher tines would be of a more general purpose type....but I think there may have been finger tines to suit ??....and I think a set of wheels too.??

"Dori"

titch

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 21:25 »
it does have wheels!!
and some people have used it already and it seems to work good, hoping to have a crack at it this weekend,
thank you for all your knowledge, i will not pass it off as my own, but htat of someone who 'knows their onions'  :lol:

xx
what fuel to use in a 4stroke iseki kf340 1970s rotovator made in japan?

Started by mrmageka on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post September 05, 2010, 14:59
by arugula
xx
new fuel E10

Started by rowlandwells on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post December 13, 2021, 15:58
by jezza
xx
Fuel

Started by richyrich7 on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post March 21, 2007, 21:02
by richyrich7
xx
which type of fuel ?

Started by bigsprouts on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post June 22, 2007, 22:36
by shaun

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 39 queries.