Butternut squash

• 17 Replies

engineer

• Experienced Member
Butternut squash
« on: August 25, 2016, 07:52 »
When is a butternut squash deemed to be ripe?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Butternut squash
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 08:13 »
With squash, the skin hardens when they are ripe and the stem attached to it starts to wither and harden as well. 

If you aren't planning to store them, you can cut them and eat them before this, but they may not have developed their full flavour. 

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 09:21 »
Thanks New Shoot, seems to be straightforward, what about storing them?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 08:55 »
If the skin is ripened, they store well.  You need somewhere cool, but frost free with decent air flow. 

I use the shelves in my shed and have fleece on standby, if we have a cold snap.  Others use utility rooms or spare bedrooms where the heating is switched off or very low.

Just check them regularly and if you spot any soft patches, or bits of rot, use them immediately.  They are fine to eat.  Just cut the bad bits out  ;)

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 17:11 »
Thank you, I'll store them in the garage next to the spuds, never had a problem with frost in there.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 19:07 »
You have squash ready for harvesting? Most of mine are still at the flowering stage, and that's in the polytunnel too!

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 19:31 »
IMO sunlight is a big plus for squash storage , a window sill or under a glass roof means they get plenty of mould killing UV rays which means your B'nuts will keep into May !

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 20:43 »
You have squash ready for harvesting? Most of mine are still at the flowering stage, and that's in the polytunnel too!
Yes I have several at the size you see in supermarkets, I don't know why, it's the first year I have tried them. I have not treated them to anything special, only to grow them where I stored the cow muck last year, so I think they may have got their feet into something enjoyable.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 08:59 by engineer »

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 20:32 »
Engineer, when did you sow them?  And what variety are they?

I sowed mine (after a lot of previous ones had failed and been eaten) in June.
I'm growing Waltham Butternut and they are sprawling, but the fruits are only babies - green and no more than 5cm long.

My pumpkins were the same this year yet in previous years I've had no bother with those.

berbie

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 22:58 »
Butternut squash can keep over 12 months. I have several still in perfect condition from last year. Cool dark frost free. Amazing storage qualities

Beekissed

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 01:23 »
This is the first year I've ever grown the butternut squash and they are the biggest producer in the garden.  All sizes from large to small, but most are medium sized.  Will be storing them and also canning some. 

ptarmigan

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 11:08 »
Just eaten my last Queensland Blue saved from last year - so squash can store really well - it was in a frost free outhouse which has a bit of light.

My squash haven't done well this year - one measly Queensland Blue from about 6 plants - I picked it last week as the vine had withered away.  I was really disappointed as usually find them reliable and easy.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 11:36 »
Crown Prince is another winter squash with great keeping qualities if undamaged and fully ripened (at least 6 months last year/this year despite not being stored in ideal conditions.)

Don't think they're doing so well this year, they sulked all June and most of July before going rampant - 4 plants and I've had to train them round in circles to stop them taking over the garden so it's a bit hard to see what's going on in there, but I can't see more than 2 or 3 properly developing squashes in total (main problem seems to be too many leaves and too few flowers, which is unusual in my none too fertile soil.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2016, 16:58 »

hi  SnoozySuzy, to answer your question, i sowed them on 1May in 3inch pots 2 to each pot, remove the weekest one, planted out 9 june, and the variety is Harrier an F1 by Unwins.

They appeared to be a bit slow to start with, i have the same problem as JayG, 4 plants now going mad in a 9m square, the one thing i have noticed is that most are normal pear shaped, however one is producing pear shapes and round fruits like melons.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 17:02 by engineer »

Headgardener22

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 21:21 »

hi  SnoozySuzy, to answer your question, i sowed them on 1May in 3inch pots 2 to each pot, remove the weekest one, planted out 9 june, and the variety is Harrier an F1 by Unwins.

They appeared to be a bit slow to start with, i have the same problem as JayG, 4 plants now going mad in a 9m square, the one thing i have noticed is that most are normal pear shaped, however one is producing pear shapes and round fruits like melons.

My harrier are still green. There were two on the plant and when I got to the allotment today, one had been eaten by slugs.

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
Still no Butternut Squash

Started by devondave on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post September 26, 2009, 21:57
by Paul Plots
xx
Butternut squash

Started by Martyg on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 13, 2012, 09:23
by surbie100
xx
butternut squash

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 30, 2008, 20:36
by Hampshire Hog

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 40 queries.