Runner Bean advice?

• 6 Replies

miggs

Runner Bean advice?
« on: August 16, 2014, 14:21 »
As this is the first year I have ever grown this plant I am little unsure what to look for, for when they are ready. I was down at the plot earlier today and there are lots of beans which I think are ready, but I am just not sure. Also, do you treat them like a Green bean when cooking, eating the pod as a whole or do you shell them IE:take the beans out. Sorry if this is obvious to some, but I just don't know.
Thanks.
Miggs.

mobilekat

Re: Runner Bean advice?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 14:38 »
The size does depend a bit on the variety, but I tend to pick when the pods are about a cm thick, the bigger they get can cause them to go tough, or stringy. The different variety scan be very different lengths, but C's. Often be up to and over a foot long- personally I like to pick them earlier, you get a smaller crop but they are sweeter!

Cooking wise we are a 'shredder' family, by this we slice the whole bean pod on a steep angle/diagonal giving you pieces about 2-3cm long, and about 1/3rd cm thick.
Then boil them up

You do see bean slicers for sale- some just go straight, some on the diagonal- these are useful if you have a glut and are making a Runner bean chutney- which is to me the best chutney in the world!

But I know different people treat them differently.

Hope that helps!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 14:42 »
Pick them before they get too bumpy, at about this size

then you slice and cook them like the larger French beans.

miggs

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 15:09 »
Thanks to the both of you for that. I will be going back in the morning to pick some. :D

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 16:17 »
Thanks to the both of you for that. I will be going back in the morning to pick some. :D

The runner bean rule is...........if it is nearly big enough pick it...........cos  next time you look it will be too big ! :)

beesrus

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 16:26 »
Nearer the end of the season you can leave the last of the beans to go full term on the plant if you like, when the pods start getting quite stringy and the seeds swell up considerably. The beans inside can then be taken out, quickly blanched and frozen, or just dried and stored in jars. Most runner beans are heavenly outside of the pod ( a la Broad beans ), particularly in stews as a fresh bean without being frozen.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 16:31 by beesrus »

Totty

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 11:45 »
Each time you walk past the row, have a quick squeeze of all the smaller beans, they will grow long and slender without beaning and becoming stringy  ;)

Totty

xx
French bean & Runner bean timing advice..

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 22:18
by Ice
xx
Runner bean advice

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 10:07
by Sharonx
xx
Runner bean advice

Started by TheModfather on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 20:37
by sunshineband
question
Runner bean frame layout advice please

Started by moreteavicar on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 27, 2021, 15:09
by JayG

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 40 queries.