Bully

• 3 Replies

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
Bully
« on: March 04, 2011, 12:16 »
I'm currently merging 4 new pullets with 3 year old hens.

It's very much early days and is going not too badly, but one of the hens who was previously probably at the bottom is now being mean to the new girls. She is mainly pecking at them, but hasn't done any damage, more bark than bite, but on a couple of times has actually mounted one.

My management technique is to provide lots of food and water in different places both in their shed and over the garden, plenty of treats and hang around getting nice and cold. Most of the time they bumble about OK but every so often Nibbles gets it into her head to have a pop.

I'm guessing that they're sorting themselves out, but how long can i expect this to last, and can I expect Nibbles to calm down? Incidentally the new girls are accepting their lower status, but are not above getting returning like with like. Edith, the Head Girl had a major wobbly the first 24 hours but has really calmed down.

Any suggestions?

PaulineM

Re: Bully
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 13:02 »
Hi
It all sounds very normal to me  :)
Don't be surprised that the new girls eventually move up the pecking order and end up at the top  :D
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 13:51 »
Thanks for the reassurance.

It just seems weird that Nibbles who is normally such a sweetie is being such a meanie.

On the other hand, being mobbed by 3 hungry chooks is totally different from being mobbed by 7 :ohmy:

PaulineM

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 14:46 »
Nibbles is probably feeling more confident than the newbies so she is taking advantage of having some girls further down the order than her.  ::)
Can't blame her really  :D

xx
The little one is a bully

Started by spencekelliem on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 14:06
by themagicaltoad1
xx
Bully

Started by uba on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 10, 2011, 14:42
by uba
xx
Help with a bully!

Started by beki on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 16, 2008, 08:39
by muntjac
xx
bully hen, need help!!

Started by nic n dave on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 21, 2012, 09:58
by francais

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 33 queries.