Opposite problem! How to keep ducks out.

• 6 Replies

drdave

« on: March 20, 2007, 00:00 »
Hi There!
I am afraid I might make myself unpoplier with my problem. I am growing all my own veg and have a lovely new greenhouse. My neighbour, a potentially violent grudge bearer, local landlord and alround person keeps a "rescued" animal pound next door. About 4 of his large white spanish ducks and a rabbit spend all day eating my garden and pooing on my greenhouse, plus the kids pick up duck poo!
I like birds, but he is making my GYO plan a misery. Any solutions short of firearms? He keeps at least 10 rabbits, 2 goats, 5 geese, chickens++ and ducks++ in a garden about 1/10 acre. Is that OK? It looks like Paaschendaele in there. I am getting desperate!

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 00:08 »
Are you talking about a lotty or your residence garden, drdave? If the lotty, you'll want to ask what your lotty rules are regarding animals - if allowed at all, which type, how many, and how they should be enclosed. I'd think similar rules would apply to a home garden and municipality laws that govern keeping livestock in close residential areas. If others have consented, then you might want to raise issue - and keep a good eye on your stuff!  :wink:

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 00:23 »
YOU HAVE THE RIGHT IN LAW TO IMPOUND STRAY ANIMALS TO PROTECT THEM AND YOUR PROPERTY
i would do this and then call the police and tell them and inform them to contact the rspca and that you suspect the owner will probably kick up a rumpus when and if he comes to chceck on them

Wherever they are kept, all species of farm animals have certain basic needs that must be adequately catered for if the animals are to have an acceptable quality of life.

These include:
continuous ready access to an adequate supply of clean, fresh drinking water
provision of feed of a type and form appropriate to the age and species of animal, to maintain them in good health and to satisfy their nutritional needs. Such foodstuffs should be properly protected from rodents and other pests.
continuous access to shelter, free from sharp edges, protrusions etc. which could cause injury, and including a clean, dry, well-bedded lying or roosting (for poultry) area large enough to allow all animals using the shelter to lie down (or roost) together at the same time.
additional space and a suitable environment for exercise, feeding, dunging and the expression of natural behaviours.

competent care and management from those with the knowledge and skill to ensure the animals' wellbeing.
regular, frequent inspection (at least daily, and more frequently for vulnerable animals such as those that are ill, or very young) of each animal.

appropriate preventative and/or curative veterinary treatment available at all times. Vaccinations, should be carried out by a veterinary surgeon, who should also advise on worming. Foot trimming of goats should be carried out either by the vet, or some other competent person.
company of their own kind - animals should not be kept isolated from others.
still alive /............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 09:38 »
Brilliant information Muntjac.  

Your neighbour has no right to allow his animals to trespass on your land :!:  Doesn't sound as if you are on good terms with your neighbour anyway as he would not abuse your land if he respected your rights.  Tell him any animals on your land are considered FOOD  :!:

drdave

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 13:14 »
Thanks ever so much for the helpful replies. We are in a semirural area and share a 200ft garden  boundary with the pub next door. He seems to think this menagerie will attract visitors to the beer garden, but it stinks, is fly ridden and really looks dodo. The ducks are in here all the time. He claims it is a rescued animal garden, but when did anyone ever rescue ducks, goats, sheep, rabbits and poultry? I have never seen any dung/bedding removal and I think it might go down his well!
I have seen the RSPCA next door twice this year. A friend of ours can safely trap and take the ducks to a good duck keeper she knows. As the pub is shut on a Mon, I know he doesnt inspect them 7/7... I will let you know...

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 13:42 »
call the cops and let them know as well as he rspca and inform them your going to the papers about there inadequate help on this .they prefer to let town foxes loose in the countryside than sort ya problem .i reckon that they arto political now  and any adverse publicity will shake em up  as well . have you seen the so called rspca approved  farms for ducks and chicken production .......... bbbbbbb

drdave

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 14:14 »
I think he is breaking DEFRA rules and the law by feeding pub catering waste to Goats and not disposing of animal compost in a closed container. I just perused the DEFRA website on safe disposal of animal waste and it is an offence to feed ruminants catering waste or even kitchen waste at home. Thats where foot and mouth came from by all accounts.

xx
Ducks have stopped laying, anyone else having this problem?

Started by flangey on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post August 05, 2011, 09:31
by flangey
xx
PROBLEM WITH COCKERALS AND DUCKS, ADVICE PLEASE!

Started by flangey on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 16:02
by flangey
xx
Poorly chick, looks like opposite to splayed legs - Great news!!!!

Started by Squiggly on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 20:27
by CluckyChicken
xx
Ducks and lights and ducks and holly

Started by RichardA on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 17:48
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 38 queries.