Sweet peppers dieing

• 6 Replies

cc

Sweet peppers dieing
« on: September 14, 2021, 11:15 »
2 out of 3 dead in garden room. Both look like they died from lack of water but definitely not caused by that. It was all most overnight (but not quite bit of droop before hand). Greenfly but not much as squash them on the plants. Some leaves holes as if eaten but far from extreme.
Any ideas folks?
I particularly like sweet peppers in my garden room as the greenfly start there hence easy to control.
Luckily I have plenty in conservatory which will keep me going till December.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweet peppers dieing
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 21:43 »
I would empty the pots out and see what is going on with the roots.  It could be vine weevil grubs.

cc

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 13:24 »
I would empty the pots out and see what is going on with the roots.  It could be vine weevil grubs.
Not in pot's. In a raised bed. All the toms are okay. The plants are dumped outside so not sure I would see anything. Does the evil wevil prefer sweet peppers?

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 16:49 »
I'm suspecting root rot.  That would be confirmed if the dumped plants have few or  no live roots but the soil was moist.  The above-ground parts would appear drought-stricken.

Fusarium wilt and Verticillum wilt could also cause the same symptoms.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

cc

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 07:51 »
I'm suspecting root rot.  That would be confirmed if the dumped plants have few or  no live roots but the soil was moist.  The above-ground parts would appear drought-stricken.

Fusarium wilt and Verticillum wilt could also cause the same symptoms.
Arhh
Do I need to remove all the soil in the raised bed? Thinking about next year. The toms are still looking good.
Thank you

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 16:15 »
cc, assuming you are able to do a crop rotation, grow something else that is not in the same group as peppers (includes potatoes, tomatoes, aubergines; "solanaceous" vegetable group) during the next year, at least.  You may want to look up what those 2 wilts look like to see if you think you had V or F.  There are some other plants that can get these wilts, so choose carefully.

There are many varieties in that group that are Fusarium wilt and Verticillium wilt resistant, especially tomatoes.  Usually VF in the hybrid name, such as Celebrity (VFNTA).  Next time you rotate back into solanaceous vegetables, seek out those varieties.  Also, keep those dead peppers out of the compost pile (all my dead vegetable plants go to municipal composting since their system reaches higher temperature than my system).

You can also try solarizing that soil.  Next season, when warm/hot, try spreading black plastic on the soil for a month.  The high temperature should "cook" the fungus.

If it were my raised bed, I would try the above suggestions before discarding all that compost/soil, though that is an option.  There are fungicides, but my preference is to avoid that route for vegetables. Others may have other opinions.

Best of luck to you!

cc

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 16:05 »
@Subversive_plot
Sweet peppers had very shallow roots which were brown and green.
I only grow sweet peppers and tomatoes in this room. There are 3 raised beds made of brick running round 3 sides of the garden room. I have 2 tomatoes and one sweet pepper in each. I find the green fly pick on the sweet peppers first so I keep them under control by cleaning them off the sweet peppers. I have just noticed that the surviver which looked Ill from the start  has suddenly decided it wants to live and produce.
I will give your black plastic a go and also plant them next year in a different place in each raised bed.
Thanks

xx
Sweet Peppers - outside already??

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 24, 2007, 10:17
by little sweetpeas
xx
sweet peppers

Started by mumof4 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 04, 2008, 10:28
by mumof4
xx
sweet peppers

Started by BELLS PLOT on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 25, 2009, 00:44
by Trillium
xx
sweet peppers

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 26, 2008, 08:31
by gobs

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 43 queries.